1. Brew your own coffee. Seriously, 3 bags of beans gets us through the month for a total of $20. Buying a cup every day would run about $4 for both of us, times 20 work days = $80 minimum per month.
2. Cut my own hair. Ok, so the teacher wife cant do this, but I can…I barely have any as it is!
3. Spend all your time blogging so you dont leave the house and spend money.
4. Put electronic equipment on (see this post) power strips. You would be amazed at how much juice your unused equipment uses.
5. Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs…seriously, go get some. The power bill goes right down.
6. Use a movie service like Netflix..for $6.00 per month we get 2 rentals…considering that renting from the store is about $5.00 per movie, and the movie theater costs $30, this is quite a deal. Plus, you dont have to drive anywhere, which saves money on gas.
7. Buy fruit and vegetables at the local Farmer’s Market if you have one…its fresher AND cheaper.
8. Pay more than the minimum on your credit cards, auto loans, mortagages, etc…every little bit helps in the long term when you are paying interest.
9. Coupons….pretty self explantory, but sometimes they can save you a lot.
10. Reuse paper products..in case you didnt notice, there are 2 sides to every piece of paper. After we use the first side of our scrap paper around the house, we just turn it over, staple it together, and you have an entirely new notebook for jotting down other money saving ideas!
11. Take public transportation – if I take the bus to the other side of town, it costs me 50 cents. If I drove my car, it would cost me about $3.00 in gas PLUS parking.
12. Buy a BRITA or PUR water filter and attach it to your faucet. A one time expense of $20 gives us about 3 months of free filtered water, that most of the time you find is just as good as the bottled stuff you pay a fortune for.
13. Go to the library. I dont remember the last time I actually bought a book or magazine, I just borrow them all now.
14. Take your lunch to work. Both the wife and I take (well, I did when I had a job) our lunch to work every day. This saves a fortune as you could easily spend $20 each day between the two of us.
15. Buy generic aspirin, ibuprofen, etc…its the same stuff as the name brand!
16. If you must use a credit card, make sure you are getting something for using it other than interest charges. We have dividend and airline miles cards…so we always get SOMETHING back if we have to charge a big purchase.
17. That being said, if you are about to make an impulse purchase, put it down and wait 24 hours. If you still must have it, think about it for another 24.
18. Turn down the heat setting on your water heater..you wont notice the difference, but your wallet will. Why pay a fortune to heat a giant tank of water that you might not even use?
19. Get some exercise, it keeps you out of the doctor’s office and thus saves you money.
20. Send your significant other out to get another job while you stay home. Whoops, how did that one sneak in there?
21. Pay your bills online…saves time AND money.
22. Get your news from the internet and not newspapers – save money and trees
23. Sell all your old stuff on Craigslist, Ebay, Half.com or some other site..just because you dont want it doesnt mean someone else doesnt!
24. Get rid of some cable tv services…if not all of it. We tried to get rid of cable, but we couldnt even get reception in our house with an antenna. So we got rid of movie channels and their remote control. Savings of about $20 per month!
25. Lastly, dont quit your job like I did. While I made the right decision for us, it may not be right for you. Its hard to save money when you dont have any coming in!
No related posts.