Do I Need A $700 Office Task Chair For My Home Office?

mirra_214.jpg

Ok readers…if anyone of you have any experience with this, please let me know. As I have mentioned before, I work from home, both as an employee for a company and a freelancer. So I spend about 9 hours a day sitting in my home office staring at a computer screen. And yes, it can get lonely. But then I think about the fact that it is 1pm and I am still in my sweats some days and I can take the afternoon off if I want to and no one can tell me otherwise. It is absolutely worth it and I don’t think I would trade going back to work in an office!

But on to my question. Right now I use a very uncomfortable, non-ergonomic task chair and I think it is taking a toll on my back. I find myself hunched over a lot, leaning in towards the computer screen. My back has been really bothering me lately. I have gone shopping for “correct” chairs, only to find that the good ones are about $500-$700. You know, the ones that win ergonomic and design awards and are found in high end office suites. Is buying a chair this expensive a worthwhile investment? Let’s look at the pros and cons:

Pros:
No more back pain
No more hunching over
Made to be sat in for hours on end
Much nicer to look at than the existing chair
2 of the chairs I am looking at are certified to be “Cradle to Cradle”, meaning they can be fully recycled at the end of their lifespan
Investment not only in my health, but possibly in my work output

Cons:
Its a chair. For $700.
There are cheaper chairs that probably aren’t AS comfortable and certainly not as attractive
Maybe it wouldn’t fix my back problems
It’s a chair. For $700. (Having trouble getting past that one)

My wife is very supportive and she says I should get whatever I want because it is my job to sit here all day, and she probably does not want some bent over old man as a husband. She says that yes, it is a lot to spend, but it is worth it. I myself cannot believe I am considering it, but I have read reviews on these chairs and everyone raves about them.

If anyone has any experience with the following chairs, I would appreciate any input, or thoughts on spending this much on a task chair.

Steelcase Think Chair
Herman Miller Mirra Chair
Hayworth Zody Chair

Oh, decisions decisions.

technorati tags: , , , ,

1. Check out this Consumerist link. It’s a little old, but Office Depot or Staples (see comment) might give you 99% the functionality at 30-40% the price.

2. Check out this Consumerist link. It’s a little old, but Office Depot or Staples (see comments) might give you 99% the functionality at 30-40% the price.

3. I’ve tried this chair out, and I think it’s one of the least comfortable chairs I’ve ever sat in. I have a $200 desk chair which may be unnecessarily expensive but I like it because it is very adjustable. It supports my back, legs, and elbows perfectly. Before I knew how to adjust it properly, it actually caused me a significant amount of back pain. So it’s not all about having the right chair–it’s just as much about making sure you adjust the chair correctly. You can easily find information on workplace ergonomics on Google.

Thanks Lazy Man, I will def. look into that. It does seem ridiculous to spend a fortune on a chair, but I dont want long term medical problems because I was being cheap. Thanks for the comment!

Hi Two Pennies

I would adjust my chair…if I could. Its one of those “fancy” desk chairs that looks good in a Pottery Barn catalog, but only goes up and down and is 92% made of wood. Looks nice, feels bad. I think I will continue to do more investigating. I have not found anything I like as much as the Aeron chair, but I am not spending $1000 on a chair. $500-$700 MAYBE, but $1000 is just too much to ask. If I could find something as comfortable for $200 I would buy it in a second…

6. RJ Huss says:

I sit in a Herman Miller Mirra chair about 9 hours a day. I didn’t have to purchase it because it was provided by my employer, but I think it is worth every penny. I really like the firm webbed plastic back. It may look strange, but once you get use to it, you will never be comfortable in any other type of chair.

Thanks RJ Huss….that sounds very promising for the Mirra chair. Appreciate your comment!

8. Martin says:

I could never spend that much on a chair, unless I was a multi-millionaire. I just spent $700 for a 37 inch LCD TV, so that kind of puts it into perspective for me. The TV was a hard buy, and it was a very good deal ($700 for a 37 inch LCD is awesome). With my last chair costing $30, I doubt I could make the jump.

Thanks Martin for your thoughts. However I think the opposite from you, that investing $700 in a chair will save me from having health problems in the future and will make me work harder, but a new TV would just slow me down. (But believe me, I would like a new LCD..but its not in the cards for us right now) Its kind of the same reason we buy organic food; its worth the extra cost for our health to not ingest tons of chemicals. Thats why for my health I am trying to find an ergonomic chair to purchase, even if I have to (gulp) spend a lot on it. I am finding that virtually all of the “correct” chairs are just plain expensive, but we are starting to be ok with that, as it is for our health. Thanks for the comment!

10. Tim says:

a good chair for sitting all day working is very important. they are spendy, but well worth the expense in the long run. besides it is a business expense for you. a good chair will alleviate many problems associated with sitting all day, like posture, support, alleviation of things like deep vein thrombosis, etc. i wouldn’t hesitate one second in spending that much if i were going to be sitting 8-12 hours a day. when my wife started working solely at work, there was no question in getting something that was going to help prevent any long term conditions.

Thanks for the comment Tim, and I 99% agree with you. Just still having trouble with expense, but it IS health related if I end up having a bad back because of this chair I use now. This weekend I am going to try one more out and then I think I might have to spend the money. Thanks again for the support!

12. Mike says:

I have used the Herman Miller Aeron & more recently the Mirra.
    A Mirra is on the list of tings to get. It works, it’s comfortable and adjustable and looks great – better than the Aeron I think.

And really $700 – Go stand outside a Chiropractic office and randomly ask if people would be willing to pay $700 to eliminate back pain – just think of it as $0.50 per day parking fee for two years. That’s really cheap parking for 9 hours a day.

Mike, I eventually got the Think chair from Steelcase, and it was the best decision I ever made!

14. I’m a screenwriter, so I sit in front of a computer all day long. I recently had the same buying dilemma – how much is too much to spend on an office chair? I checked out a lot (most of the top name chairs) of them and went with the Raynor Ergohuman (me7erg). I was a bit nervous until I realized it’s not a ‘knock off’ chair. It’s the real deal.
    After six months I can say, it’s an incredible chair – the new aeron.
    I got it through ebay for under $500.00 so, I couldn’t be more pleased. It was half the price of what anything else like it cost.

Is it worth it? haha. I feel like I’ve gone ‘born again’ with office chairs. Yes, it’s worth it. And with a lifetime guarantee, it’s a better long term investment than a new computer. I won’t have to think about an office chair again.

Stefan, I hear you on this! I ended up getting the Think chair from Steelcase and I will never sit in a regular old office chair again. It has saved my back and my eyesight and allows me to work for longer now. Thanks for the comment!

16. […] Do I Need A 700 Office Task Chair For My Home Office My Two Posted by root 1 hour 47 minutes ago (http://www.mytwodollars.com) It a little old but office depot or staples see comment might give you but only goes up and down and is 92 made of wood i just spent 700 for a 37 inch lcd tv so that kind of puts it into perspective for me and really 700 go stand outside a chiropractic of Discuss  |  Bury |  News | Do I Need A 700 Office Task Chair For My Home Office My Two […]

17. […] Do I Need A $700 Office Task Chair For My Home Office? Ok readers…if anyone of you have any experience with this, please let me know. As I have mentioned before, I work from home, both as an employee for a company and a freelancer. So I spend about 9 hours a day sitting in my home office staring at a computer…… […]