Thankfully I Don’t Own A Car – Gas Price At $3.69 For Regular!

I know some of you that are not here in Los Angeles have cheaper gas, but this is just insanity. Yesterday while riding my bike to tennis lessons, I stopped at a gas station to put air in my tires (and don’t get me started on the $.50 for air charge). Price for regular 87 octane gas was $3.69! Need Super? $3.89. Craziness.

Granted, my wife still has a car as she commutes and her job is 14 miles away and it is getting more and more expensive for her to fill up, but I am very glad we have made the move to only having one car. Summer is not even here yet and gas is already this much? This summer is going to be a killer for commuters and travelers.

How much does gas cost in your neck of the woods? Would love to know!

technorati: ,

1. Hazzard says:

The cheapest gas we can find here in the Seattle area is about $3.01. It makes me sick to think about how much money the oil industry is making. I’m seriously considering cutting the floorboards out of my car and using the Flintstone’s method. Ugh!!!

Hazzard I would pay good money to see that!

3. It was around $2.70 the other day when I filled up.

4. shawna says:

$2.72 in central Ohio, but it was $2.89 for a few days last week. Oh how I wish I lived somewhere where it is feasible to bike to work.

5. Dean says:

$6.75 per gallon. I’m in the UK 🙂

6. TF Miser says:

It is $2.67 here. I have a delivery job so I don’t want to see gas prices go up. It isn’t really possible for me to cut back on my gas use.

I thought California had outlawed charging for air.

Dean, I feel for you. But honestly, I think it is the only thing that will stop and make people in this country think twice about the kind of cars they drive and where they go. The high prices have altered thinking in the UK, right?

You guys have it good at under $3.00! It cost my wife $48.00 to fill up our Mini this morning!

8. Dean says:

David, Sort of, fuel economy is paid attention to by most older drivers and the younger drivers often are put off by the insurance cost of powerful cars.

SUVs are loathed by lots of people but neither that or the extra car tax required have stopped the increase in numbers of people having them.

Fuel costs (and the annual fuel tax increase) have *not* deterred a rapidly growing number of people from buying a car. The government are looking into tracking car usage and charging per mile driven to help combat it.

Personally I drive a little 1 litre engine Ford Fiesta 🙂

I wish SUV’s were loathed here! 🙂 I dont blame you for the little 1 liter, if we had them here I am sure we would have one. Its amazing, really, all the times I have been to Europe, the cars you guys have there. Smaller, more fuel efficient, and a lot of the times better looking. If only…thanks for the comments Dean!

10. CT says:

It was 2.92 last I saw around here. I drive a Civic Hybrid, so I don’t have to fill up very often. I also live in a relatively rural area 30 miles away from where I work, so going without a car is impossible for me.

I disagree about your comment about SUVs though Dean. New and used SUV sales have dropped significanly in the last 2-3 years (http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/11547/suv-sales-in-reverse.html). Meanwhile hybrid car sales are increasing exponentially every year.

Thanks for the comment CT. Hybrids are the way to go, but I am concerned a little with the costs to the environment to build them.

12. Dean says:

CT: Here is probably not the best place to debate this but I was talking about the UK car market, a report from the same time period here says that “SUV sales had fallen by only 0.1%, whereas the car market as a whole had dipped by 4.2% – meaning that SUVs actually now account for a higher proportion of new car sales than before” – http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=15062#article

Though I guess things could have changed since

13. I just came into LA the other day for vacation. “Back home,” in the middle of nowhere, gas is at $2.90 at the very cheapest. That seems to sting me more than seeing $3.50 here in LA. I’ve gotten used to the idea that everything costs a fortune in LA, but I hate seeing prices go up at home.

14. Juan Millon says:

Yeah I don’t think I’ll ever get used to paying $3.40 for gas. I just keeping thinking to myself, 1 more year and I will buy a hybrid. But, camry hybrids have no trunk space! *wipes away a tear* I wonder if living 3 blocks away from work would be nice.