Grocery Poll – How Much Do You Spend Per Week For Groceries?

I was having a discussion the other day with one of my friends about how much we both spend on groceries every week and we both came out to around the same amount…but I am buying for 2 and he is only buying for himself. Hmmm, that started me wondering just how much people spend on food each week. For us, we buy our fruits and vegetables at the farmers market each Saturday morning and all the other stuff at either Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. At the farmers market we spend about $40 and at the grocery store we spend about $75, for a total of about $115 each week or $460 each month. This is to feed both of us and I don’t consider it to be too much. We buy organic food as much as possible and we eat dinner at home probably about 6 nights a week. We both eat breakfast at home, make our own coffee at home, and my wife takes her lunch to work and I eat here at my desk at home.

That leads me to you…how much do you spend each week/month on groceries and how many people does this money feed? If you get a chance, leave a quick comment and let me know and I will compile a list of the responses in a future post so we can take a look at the food habits of the readers. This should be quite interesting!

1. I spend about the same, about $120 a week. For myself, wife, and 2 year old son. My wife is a registered dietician and a great cook, so we have similar purchasing habits(organic, natural, etc. Haven’t visited the new farmer’s market that just opened, but we plan too.

We actually spend about $100 a week, and then a meat and fish trip at whole foods once every month or two.

2. Greg says:

We budget $400 for the month. We buy meats and a few other items at Costco and the rest at the grocery store. We eat really inexpensive, but mostly healthy food. I don’t go for the organic stuff. It’s me, my wife, and two kids (2 & 5).

3. Jeremy says:

We try to keep it under $500/month for the two of us and our dog. It is a bit more expensive than we could live with, but we never eat out. We eat out maybe 5 times a year so the grocery bill has to cover 7 days of home cooked meals every week, and for me, has to include some good meat or fish at each meal.

4. paidtwice says:

I budget $75/week and actually usually spend closer to $85/week. It is for me, my spouse, my 3 year old son, and my 9 month old daughter (I make her baby food from scratch). I anticipate that going up as the kids get older.

I live in the midwest though and the cost of living is generally lower here. I do buy organic produce and milk. I am a vegetarian so we eat less meat (spouse still eats meat) than average.

5. For 2 adults, about $75 per week. Although this month we’ve been really good and only spent about $55 per week. We buy loads of fresh fruit and produce but very little, if any, meat.

6. corky says:

According to Quicken, about $60 per week for one person.

Based on what others are reporting, I might have some opportunities in there for trimming my expenses. Now that I have had this heads-up, I’ll start looking at my groceries in more detail.

I already buy store brands, avoid junk food, don’t go to restaurants, and I buy in bulk from Costco when it’s something that has a long shelf-life.

Hmm. Maybe some of those bulk purchases have inflated my averages? I have done some restocking since the beginning of the year…

7. Dan says:

My wife (25) and I (28) budget $100 per month. Things have gotten more expensive as we’ve been eating healthier – especially with more fruit in the diet.

I think we could get it cheaper if we had a deep freezer, but we really don’t have the room for it.

8. Josh Young says:

My wife and I budget $240 for “groceries” per month, but that also includes stuff beyond food (toiletries, household items, etc.). The total for the food portion of it usually only comes to about $40 per week, or $160 per month total. And this is one area where we are usually about $40 per month BELOW budget (including everything – beyond food).

9. Amy says:

For 2 adults on the east coast we budget $400
    per month. This includes 5 week months as well
    as extra meals I bring to my elderly dad.
    I use coupons, cook double batches of things
    and rarely eat out.

10. Christy Mann says:

We have a family of four. Myself, husband and two girls, 6 and 3. On average, we spend about 100$ a week on groceries. Sometimes less sometimes more, depending on the week. I make menu’s and stick to them and that helps a lot, specially since the bulk of the money we spend is on Sodas, propel and powerade. I know I could cut these things out, but its nice to enjoy something cool and sweet on a hot day, and its just for me and my husband.

The 100$ a week provides the kids and myself with breakfast daily, cold lunches for my husband at work, and more for us at home, then a family meal every night.

11. beth says:

I just started tracking this last month. June I spent $139.81 for groceries for one.

July so far is 121.32, with at least two more grocery trips thrown in. I estimate I’ll come in under $150 for the month, again for one adult.

12. Alison says:

I spend about $75/week for just myself. I eat out probably 2-3 times a week for lunch and go out to dinner 1-2 times a week.

13. We spend roughly $400 every 8-10 weeks for food and supplies for two people.

14. Amy says:

I have been actively trying to reduce our food bill lately by eating in more, cooking in large batches and freezing things, and planning menus before I go grocery shopping. It saves a ton of money and time!

This month, my boyfriend and I will spend about $50/wk. on groceries, but this is lower than usual for us. Normally, with less planning, we might spend closer to $80/wk. We do not go out of our way to buy organic food, but we do buy lots of produce, much of it from Trader Joe’s where it’s significantly cheaper. TJ’s used to have mediocre produce, but it’s really gone uphill in the last year or so.

We also spend about $25-50 per week on a restaurant meal, which is less extravagant than it sounds because my primary “fun” expenditure is restaurant food and we often have leftovers.

15. Ellen says:

For the last few months, we’ve spent about $375-400 per month on groceries. That feeds the two of us regularly, plus at least a couple of dinner parties/gatherings each month with a half-dozen hungry people.

That figure goes up some when things we like go into their prime season (sweet corn, blueberries, strawberries), when we go crazy. I only buy organic (and as local as possible) fruits/veggies, only wild fish, and I try to get free-range/pastured meats when I can. We don’t have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, but we have a couple of small hippie markets that help with healthy foods.

16. glblguy says:

Ok, are you guys sitting down?

We spend $1100/month on groceries. There are 8 of use, my wife and I and six kids. So that is what, $275 per week?

We eat out some too, and budget about $300 per month for that, but we’re working on cutting that back.

Guessing I am on going to be on the upper end here ;-)

So far so good, I am so glad you guys are leaving so many comments. And yes glblguy, you are most certainly in the lead!

18. dcv says:

Our family of 5 (oldest child is 8) budgets and spends $650/month on groceries. Interestingly to me, groceries is probably the most consistent budget category – no matter how many vacation days we are gone, or how much gourmet cooking we do, we always end up spending about the same amount.

This is also a comfort as we seek to reduce spending in some other areas – I agree with earlier posts about it being worthwhile to “splurge” on foods that are fresh, in-season and healthy.

19. vh says:

I budget $600 a month but don’t spend anywhere near that much–normally about $120 a week. In the past month (6/19 – 7/19) I spent $556.10, which included two Costco runs in which I purchased enough meat and fish to last upwards of two months.

This amount covers me and, for the past 10 days, my adult son, who has been camped out here while renovators run amok in his house. I am very picky about what I buy: no processed foods, no junk food; the best meats I can afford, lots of fresh fruits & veggies.

Feeling overworked along about the middle the span above, I went over to Whole Paycheck and bought several premade meals free of strange additives, which were stupidly expensive. Not worth it: I cook better than that. Day before yesterday the NY Times ran an article titled “101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less.” Any one of these easy recipes costs less than it would cost preassembled at a premium grocery store…so, after this Convenience Food = Minimalist Cooking + Real Ingredients.

20. $150/week for myself, my husband, our 2-year-old and our 7-month-old who recently started solids. This is high, but includes a lot of organic produce, dairy and meats.

21. Snappyfrog says:

I see people are stating amounts and people/animals in different ways, so I’ll just give you the amounts and let you figure out how you want to juggle them.

Myself, wife, 17 year old son and 15 year old son eat $150/week in groceries.
    We spend $50/week eating out.
    Animals eat $125/month (4 cats, 2 dogs, 1 turtle and 12 ducks, sheeze!)

Snappyfrog

22. gathrey says:

We are two people in the house – I and my wife. We cook at home, make our coffee at home and budget to eat out twice a month. We get our fresh fruits and veggies at the local farmer market, and the rest of the groceries at the nearby albertsons. We spend about 50$ a week on both combined (average) or about 200-220$ a month. We are vegetarians though – so our diet if high on fruits and veggies.
    We boycott soda – investing in our dental future, canned stuff – no thanks preservatives, and shop at the nearest grocery store – saving time and gas.

23. jan says:

I’ve budgeted $ 260 a month for two people, but we always go over that amount. We’re usually at $ 320 to 350 in reality. This is not only food items, but paper goods, laundry soap, trash bags, bug spray, etc. I’d love to cut that back and stay within budget, but I can’t seem to get lower than $ 320 !!!

24. Kim says:

For my husband and myself only, we spend about $175 every two weeks, or $350/month. For a long time we budgeted $125 for two weeks or $250/month but ended up running out of food after a week or so and then spent a ridiculous amount of money on eating out. Now I am a “stay-at-homer,” so we are eating significantly more at the house rather than buying lunches, dinner, etc. so am thinking of upping it to about $400/month. Once you throw in paper towels, laundry detergent, toilet paper, trash bags, ziplocs, etc, etc… just gets too hard to keep it at $175 for two weeks.

25. Mary says:

My family, party of five (3 sons ages 2-6) spends about $1000/month. I was surpised when I tallied this up recently. I do not think we are excessive, although we do eat sushi twice per month and order out pizza or Chinese every other week or so. My husband and I eat a lot of fish too. I was trying to do some budgeting and $1000/ month was higher than I expected so I just wanted to see what other American middle class families were spending.

26. Debbie says:

We spend anywhere between $250 and $400 a month and that’s for myself and 4 children, 18, 16, 14 and 12. We do not have a garden, nor any animals for meat, milk, eggs, etc. This is for groceries only and does not include cleaning supplies, paper products, cleaning supplies, etc.

I live on a very tight budget at times and when I do have a little extra I try to stock up on pantry items and things I can get good deals on (loss leaders).

I do shop several different stores as well, in order to take advantage of the different sales in my local area. I do not buy organic very often, though I would love to be able to do that, but unfortunately they higher cost makes it difficult.

I also serve alot of vegetarian meals since beans are so much less expensive that meat and healthier too. I tend to use meat more as a flavor enhancer these days than a main course. We do eat a lot of vegetables, beans, fruit, oatmeal, etc.

I cook the majority of our meals from scratch (at least 95%), and try to always have something easy frozen in the freezer for those nights I just don’t feel like cooking.

I find that it is not as difficult as many people think when you eat less meat, although I really wish I had a garden–that would be great!

27. Debbie says:

I find that it is not as difficult as many people think when you eat less meat, and stay away from processed foods, although I really wish I had a garden–that would be great! It is getting harder with the cost of milk goin up and so forth, but I try to stay on top of things and shop those sales ads as aggressively as my budget will allow:-)

28. Ami says:

My family of 3–two adults, one four-year old, spend 80-85 dollars a week on food/liquor in Boston. And we go out to dinner about twice a month, and I do indulge in a latte now and then. Not too bad, I guess! I just stay away from Whole Foods as much as I can! :)

29. Kamai says:

We live in Los Angeles area. Our family, 2 toddlers, 2 adults and a large dog spend about $1,400 per month. We eat some Organic food and shop at Costco for bulk stuff. This includes diapers, toiletries, cleaning products, stuff you find in groceries stores.

We eat out once a month. We eat healthy and a pretty fut family but after reading what everyone wrote, we may have to go on a diet :-)

30. [...] Moly. I cannot believe the amount of responses I got to my post How Much Do You Spend On Groceries that I put up last week. I figured the differences in the dollar amounts would be a little spread [...]

31. KJ says:

We spend about $150-$200/week for a family of three. I kept thinking this was alot, but I simply can’t figure out where to cut costs. Fresh produce and meat are very expensive. Any suggestions!?

32. [...] Grocery Poll – How Much Do You Spend Per Week For Groceries? [...]