Found The Perfect House But Not Ready To Move Yet.

taos.jpg

UGH.

Since we started our discussion about moving to Taos, NM, we have been looking at houses for sale on the internet. Although we are not ready to move yet, I found my perfect house this weekend…2 acres of land, solar panels, 2 workshop rooms, an office, etc.. It is perfect. But there are 2 problems with it: 1. It is about $30,000 over our comfort level on what to spend on a house, and 2. We are not ready to move.

Our initial goal was to move there, rent a place, and start looking for real estate. And really, it still is the goal; but we got sucked into shopping for houses before we even moved there, and I wish we hadn’t. Because now when I see a house I like I feel like we should go see it right away for fear that another one won’t come along. I am sure that those of you who have bought a house have felt something like this before. And with this house that I fell in love with, the cost is $30,000 than we want to spend…I am sure we could get that to drop down a bit in this market out there, but still…$30,000 is a lot of money.

Besides that, we are not ready to move yet. I know that no green light is going to show up over my head to tell me when it is OK to go, but we both feel like today is not the time. We figure that as long as we get there around the time our first child is born, we will be alright because we will finally be out of Los Angeles.

But man, if I was ready to move today and had an extra $30,000 that place would be ours….

1. MoneyNing says:

I was in a similar position a few months ago when we almost bought a house so I understand completely how you feel. The $30k extra is a lot of money but if you plan to live in it for a long time and it is really worth the extra $30k (relatively market value), it might make sense since you can’t really put a price tag on comfort.

You might want to stop looking at more expensive houses since the higher the home is priced, the nicer it is naturally so if you have a budget to work under, then don’t look at houses that go over budget. Don’t let the realtor sucker you into looking at higher priced homes since they know that everyone ends up buying bigger/bigger and higher/higher priced ones as they each one and every house is just a couple thousand dollars more.

Thanks MoneyNing, appreciate the comment. I gotta stay away from the expensive houses, those real estate agents are out to get me! 🙂

Thanks…

3. Matt says:

Buying a house is a big deal especially if it’s over your comfort threshold. I want to either get a bigger place or a cottage property but I’m not really in a position to do either so right now I’m going to keep my eyeballs off the housing market just in case I find something that I absolutely must have. I’d rather not be disappointed when I can’t afford the asking price.

Good luck with the move! (when you’re ready)

4. I recently spoke with someone on their NM experience and heard it was a positive environment down there =)

It truly is quite incredible Modern-Worker, we fell in love with it.

And Matt, thanks for the comment. I suppose I should stop looking as well!

6. Debbie says:

I often start researching things before I am in any position to do anything about what I am learning. The reason is that when I am in the mood to research something, I research it. Later, when I need to know the information, I may not be in the mood or may not have time.

While house hunting, you never really know the range of what is out there. Most people actually make an offer very quickly after starting to look; I suspect it’s because they don’t know how common whatever it is that attracted them really is.

You will. All houses you see after this one will be compared to this one. You may find that this was an awesome deal that you can never match, but I doubt it.

Also, don’t forget that you can change the house you get. Now might be a good time to check out prices on certain things you now know you like.

Okay, acreage is hard to change. But you can still research how hard it is to find houses with the acreage you want, and where those lots are located.

How much does it cost to add solar panels, are there any government incentives to do so here, and if you get extra electricity, can you sell it back to a utilities company?

How could you create a workshop room or an office if a house were perfect in every other way? Turn a bedroom into one? A formal dining room? Convert part of a garage? Build an extra outdoor structure? How much would each of these strategies cost?

Note also that getting renovations done is generally considered extremely unpleasant, so it’s best to avoid it, but it’s still best to know your options.

7. People often get themselves into trouble when they allow their emotions to overrule their head. Good for you to have recognized this.

Demographics indicate that real estate prices should decline for several years, so resist being in any kind of hurry. We’re renting now and waiting this ride out.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I am glad this is not a weird thing I did, but rather its quite normal. Thanks!