Would You Buy The Domain Name Of Your Baby’s Name?

I came across this article this morning over at Yahoo news about parents buying domain names for their babies and children and thought it was pretty interesting. I think I would do it to because you never know the value of these things in the future; for all I know we will all be using the internet for our work/life/business sometime later. I figure at the least they will have their own custom email address when they start using the computer. Have you bought the domain name for your baby or child?

1. James says:

Yes – I just did it this week. My daughter was born two weeks ago and we plan to post her baby pictures/videos up for our family to see – no telling if we plan to keep it after the first couple years though…

2. Stephanie says:

I didn’t even bother checking for the first/last name combo when I registered domains for my kids. Too many potential privacy issues. Instead I bought domains that use their first name with another word.

My daughter started working with me on her site when she was 4. She’s 5 now and not much interested in working on it very often, but once in a while she’ll ask to add something.

Didnt think of that Stephanie, thanks for the privacy tip!

4. MoneyNing says:

If I remember to do this, I will 🙂 It’s too cheap an investment to regret down the road.

5. Fraktfritt says:

Haven´t done it but If the name became available I could see it as an investment. Easy to remember, like a really good cell phone number – I´d pay for a good number so why ot a good domain – Skip my kids – I´m seeing if mine is free!

6. Brip Blap says:

I registered our family’s last name, since we have a fairly uncommon last name. That way I can always expand the subdomain range later on. Everyone should do that – it’s invaluable for me right now as a place to direct potential clients to see my work, resume, bio, etc. Later maybe it will be the same for my son, too.

7. This is an interesting post and very helpful comments too. Privacy, family last name and etc. I think I will definitely register one for my baby, but I haven’t make up my mind for full name or just first name.

8. James says:

As a followup – privacy was certainly a consideration when we got our domain. It’s important to know that when you sign up for any domain, you give some contact information that can be stored in the public “Whois” database. If you’re uncomfortable with this, there are “proxy” services that will hide your information from these databases. We used this feature to keep our mailing address and phone number hidden. We’ve also currently password protected our web site so the content is hidden. Our name was fairly common so I’m not concerned about someone associating the full name with our new baby directly.

9. elysa says:

I am currently engaged and I bought a domain name with our first names to post engagement photos and wedding info. When I first read your post I thought of course I’d buy the names of our children but I like the idea of just buying the domain name of your last name and using subdomains.

Also, just wanted to let you know that the yahoo link doesn’t work.

10. […] Two Dollars asks if you should register a domain for your child’s name. I would have but I should have thought of that before I gave my son the name Yahoo […]