An Open Letter To Major League Baseball, Fox And Advertisers.

I just wanted to let you all know that because of the incessant advertising throughout the World Series, you actually encouraged me to watch the games much faster than their broadcast time. How? I own a Tivo.

This is the first year I have watched the World Series where there are more ads than baseball action and I am tired of it. I can accept the ads on the Green Monster at Fenway and the superimposed ones behind the batter on the wall. I can sort of deal with the ads between innings and I understand why they are on. But every 2 minutes or so, when the play by play guys even start reading ads and promoting a Hybrid Tahoe (are you joking?), that is the last straw for me.

Budweiser ads every 15 minutes. Mastercard ads every 10. AT&T Baseball Quizzes. Transformers Movie spinning logo between replays of big plays. Bank of America “Fan Cam” crap. People holding up green screens so FOX can put their logo on it. Visa sponsoring the starting lineup. When will the players have to wear Bank of America shirts? When will coaches have to pose with a credit card? Every few minutes there is an ad for something or another, right in the middle of the action…And I for one am done with being subjected to them.

I have you guys figured out – thanks to Tivo. I start watching the games 15-20 minutes late. Then I fast forward through every sponsorship, every ad, every time the announcers start hawking Mastercard for a few extra bucks in their paycheck. Every time they break for “regular” ads, I fast forward. And if I happen to catch up, I pause the game for a few minutes and go do something more constructive. That gives me more room to skip through the corporate interest crap and watch ACTUAL BASEBALL. I know that Fox and MLB doesn’t really care about the viewer and/or baseball – it’s all about milking this airtime for as much money as they can possibly make. I am surprised it has not been mandatory that every World Series has to be 7 games, no matter what the circumstance.

When I turn on the TV to watch the World Series, I want to see 3-4 hours of baseball…not 3-4 hours of advertising. Like I said, I get the ads between innings, as someone has to pay for this (never mind my cable bills…) – but ads every couple of minutes in one form or another throughout the game is too much, and I will never watch another baseball game without my Tivo running a few minutes behind.

Oh, and thank you Red Sox, for bringing another one home!

1. verena says:

I think I make these same comments to my husband every time we watch a game. I haven’t watched an entire ballgame for years. I fast forward to when the pitcher winds up, watch the outcome, and then fast forward again. If I catch up, I watch something recorded on Tivo for 15 minutes, then start again.

Did you see the World Series? Was I wrong about how many ads there were? It was a nightmare to try to watch!

3. Someone needs to make free satellite tv service with all channels for free. It should be ad supported like most websites.

It already is ad-supported, but strange enough we still have to pay for it.

5. I tried watching the Bosox – Rockies series but all it did was reaffirm my old belief – baseball is incredibly boring to watch.

I need my NFL, NBA, and college sports. 🙂
    -Raymond

If I could stand watching football I might be interested in the Patriots this year. Talk about boring 🙂

7. Hubsess says:

Baseball is the perfect game to begin with for advertisers any way. You get 2 breaks an inning, which gives you a bare minimum of 17 commercial breaks a game. Plus you get a commercial break for pitching changes too. 20 commercial breaks in a 3 hour game seems pretty fair. That’s more than most TV shows get.

I don’t mind the breaks, as I mentioned. It’s the rest of it I am fed up with, scattered throughout the game, even while they are playing.

9. Ellen says:

Not to mention, they even got Royce Clayton and Coco Crisp shilling for Taco Bell! They miked them talking about the free taco promotion in the dugout. For pete’s sake. (Though, it was really cute, I have to say.)

But I really loved this Series, ads aside. We were discussing who should be the MVP before they announced Mikey Lowell, and it really was a toss-up–so many good players! Ah, ecstasy. Thank god for DVRs.

Yea, that part infuriated me Ellen. It’s too bad baseball (and every other sport) is being ruined by these advertisers!

And Jacoby should have been the MVP….:-)

11. Ellen says:

Oh, Jacoby! Did you hear that he had his teammates sign his jersey on the plane ride home? Is not that the most adorable rookie thing you ever heard? I love my team. *squishes them*

My wife was wondering if we could adopt him…;-)

13. Lazy Man says:

I wish I could watch sports on delay. It loses the excitement for me.

14. I, too, did this. In fact some of the games I just jumped in where the game was and skipped some of the innings because I knew that fast forwarding through the game meant huge amounts of ads, too. Then when the first ad came on I’d go do something like read RSS feeds or talk to my wife. Turns out that my team lost (Go, Rockies, Go!), but at least so did the incessant advertising.

15. […] Advertising in the World Series was STUPID!  My Two Dollars calls it like it is. […]

16. SoxFan says:

Another thing that really angered me is all of these games having an 8:00PM EST start time (but no actual first pitch until nearly 8:30) … regardless of the day. Simply so they could position the games in prime time. I have to beleive they’re losing viewers in the late innings though…

On a Friday or Saturday night … OK. Most people won’t have to get up the next day and can deal with staying up late. But it’d have been nice if at least one of the weekday games could have been a 7-ish game. …and if maybe the Sunday game could’ve been (heavens forbid) a day game so the kids could watch.

I agree with you…some of my relatives back in Boston had a hard time seeing the games late into the innings when it mattered. And for some on this coast, they weren’t even home from work when the games started.

MLB is fast becoming a joke, in my eyes – no consideration for the actual fans, just the networks and the advertisers.