Would You Buy This Off-Grid House For $224,000?

views.jpg

If you could make it work (work from home, own your own business, independently wealthy), would you be interested in buying this house that is off the grid? It sits on 2 acres, has wireless (probably satellite) internet and has some of the best views I have ever seen. This is the kind of house we are looking at for when we move to Taos, NM, although we do plan on renting a house first to take a good look around. For $224,000, although it looks a little run-down from the outside, the inside has been completely remodeled and looks pretty damn nice. Hmm…should we pack and move this week? 😉

front-door.jpg
livingroom.jpg
diningroom.jpg

1. plonkee says:

My actual answer is no, but then that’s really because I’m definitely an urban person.

The views are nice, the price is cheap and the interior is pretty. So it’s a good house.

In reality, I wouldn’t buy anywhere without checking it out in person and of course getting a survey done. Would you need someone that knew about eco-friendly housing?

I’ve done the urban thing for 17 years now and we are both ready for a change!

You would, but luckily I am up to date on all things eco-friendly 😉

3. Mrs. Micah says:

Wow. I would love to have that house. The disadvantage would be the commute or being close to friends. But if it were just me and my husband, both of us writers, writing and somehow having the money–that would be amazing!

Maybe if I inherited a fortune to pay the bills. Because if I lived there, I wouldn’t want to spoil it by having to commute.

If you are both writers, what commute? 🙂 Luckily the house is only 25 miles outside of downtown Taos, NM, so it’s close enough to town but far enough way to be isolated as well.

Ahh, moving….

5. PinoyTech says:

I have lived all my life in the city. I don’t see my self living there in the next 10 years.

6. eric says:

2 acres? am i reading that correctly? you can see more than that in the photo.

add about 38 acres to that for that price and i’m sold.

i’d be too worried about development. yeah, it’s barren now, but so was the apple orchard that used to be where my house is now.

7. Yes, buy it. Start packing. Those photos made my heart leap. I happen to love Taos and NM in general, but really, it looks like the kind of place where it would not be too hard to be happy 9though if it had not had the internet, I would have said “forget it.”)

Eric – I too feel that way about a lot of properties we look at, but since most of Taos looks exactly the same, I am not too worried about it. Besides, where this house is, development wouldn’t make financial sense, at least not for the next 20 years.

Advice Network – thanks for the comment!

9. I have to live in cities, but this does look appealing 😉

10. fiveberries says:

My uncle lives in a totally off-grid house, but it’s not nearly as nice as that, but the views are even better.

He created his electricity from a waterfall on his property, making his own hydro-electric converter and he gets all his water from the stream.

The craziest part about his house is the, ahem, room with a view. He has a functioning toilet on the front porch. It has a curtain for when company is there, but I assume when he’s alone, well, he can do his business with a view. Thankfully it’s completely isolated. Thankfully, for all of us!

It certainly is an amazing way to live!