Congress To Get Involved In NFL Spygate And The New England Patriots?

From Raw Story:

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA), the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, says plenty of questions remain about revelations the New England Patriots spied on the New York Jets earlier this season, secretly videotaping defensive coaches’ signals to players during a game. “The American people are entitled to be sure about the integrity of the game,” he told the New York Times. “It’s analogous to the C.I.A. destruction of tapes. Or any time you have records destroyed.”

Don’t these guys have real issues to deal with, like education or crime or terrorism or something? Jeez. So glad I pay taxes for this kind of crap.

1. Dawn says:

I think it is possible that Senator Specter is responding to his constituents in this case. Remember, the Eagles lost to the Patriots in the Superbowl a few years ago. Speaking as someone from the Philadelphia area, I can tell you that the minute the Pats taping thing came out, crazy Eagles fans were probably calling Specter’s office 20 times each day. It wouldn’t surprise me if they wanted Bill Bellichek tried for treason (you know, for contaminating the sanctity of football). I’m not saying we need congressional hearings into it, I’m just saying that it isn’t unlikely that he’s doing the people’s business, as they say. It isn’t necessarily his fault that the people are completely bonkers.

You could be right Dawn…but in that case, he should tell them to get a life – it’s football. 🙂

3. Brip Blap says:

Amen. This is the kind of stupidity that makes me curl up in a fetal position and realize that no matter how much I complain about the state of our country, it’s not going to get better. Until we get a third party that will actually focus on serious matters like health care and wars and so on, we’re doomed to schmucks like Specter. Sad, sad, sad.

It’s painful, isn’t it? 🙂

5. RK Paris says:

Let’s turn Congress loose on Spygate. Why not? They don’t do much of anything else anyway. At least my tax dollars would go towards something meaningful . . the NFL.

First they only videotaped the Jets game. Then the “Commish” says he got “everything and destroyed it” . . . like really fast. Then we find out they taped the Ram’s walk-through from a SuperBowl years ago. Now we find out the Commish says that the six tapes he got from the Pats, included material from 2006. Does anybody really think there wasn’t constant video shooting going on between that SuperBowl and the Jets game in 2007?

This thing is growing in leaps and bounds. Wait until camerman Walsh and the rest of that Pat’s video staff get a call from Uncle Phil. By the way, just why does that video staff have so many people on it?

Ya just knew something was fishy when the Commish says he destroyed the tapes (I bet he didn’t really). He just wants this thing to go away like instantly. It’s too bad he doesn’t have the gonads to ask the Pats the right questions . . . like:

“at whose house are the rest of the tapes?” Or “are they under the stadium in that Video Vault Archival Library?” Or “is that filed by team name or type of formation?”

There is so much more going on here. I’m tired of all the cheating going on in general, but especially in sports . . . and especially in something very sacred to me . . . football. I don’t mind spending my tax dollars to ferret out cheating in the NFL. In life, some things are important.

Personally, I would rather see my tax dollars go towards things like fixing the roads, hiring police officers, paying for poor kids to go to college, health insurance for the elderly, but that’s just me 😉

I see your point RK, they don’t do much else in Washington. But still…

7. Johns USA says:

I’m a Teacher overseas…in China… many kids here are amazed and interested in sports.. and American Football is on their list. I Teacher English Communication, American Culture, and introduce many American ideals.. but.. I am greatly saddened and embarrassed by such Americans as Belichik (Belicheat is most fitting) and the TEAM of lack sportsmanship.. from Cheating to Delay of Game combined with grossly unsportmanslike conduct by the COACH… I am disgusted. As this “fun” sport is now a Multi-Billion dollar industry with the Winners receiving mega more compensations than just their millions of salary, etc… Prison time for all Conspiritors and stripping of all monetary/awards-etc… involving Bilicheat! I say that Industrial Espionage is fitting! Learning the tricks and secrets of the opponents to acheive the extra earnings, fame, and prizes are Mega-Bucks. With Francises Nationwide and striving Globally… a monopoly with excessive money power.. say.. sounds kinda like that Software Giant… what is it.. Misfit Software.. or Misfortunate.. Unstable Forever.. whatever… point is CHEATING SUCKS.. and hurts much more than Companies and Fans!! Embarasses and humiliates a Nation, prideful nationals, and the “what is” Common Decency — Trust in a sport! Justice to all Americans and Sports fans alike! Then..and only then…are offerings of the protections under the USA is appropriate…. TAX dollars, Community, Fan base.. must be concidered! Again.. heck, if it were just a game/sport for fun (NO money involved…) then a swift kick in the pants is maybe appropriate.. but.. when there are Millions or Billions of dollars involved.. well.. that’s a Business.. that’s an Industry! INDUSTRIAL ESPIONAGE IS Cheating for unfair GAIN over a competitor.. monetary and standings…secret plays, codes, languages of the various Sport teams are secret for a reason! Just as the source code of Software developers!

8. Paris says:

“Upon further review,” the Commish now admits:

1. Mr. Belli -“cheat” has stated to him that he has been “taping” since he took over the Patriots (that would be 2000 I believe . . roughly seven years worth).

2. Mr. Belli -“cheat” has stated he felt it was legal.

So let’s look at these two facts that Mr. Belli -“cheat” has put on the table.

#2 first:
    If he actually felt that what they were doing was legal, then they surely applied their efforts with a level of zest, Cart Blanche and consistency. Why wouldn’t they? It’s perfectly legal. It’s sanctioned!

The reality, however, is that it’s not “perfectly legal.” I read the NFL Guideline/Policies regarding video taping recently, and it is very clear and explicit as to what a team can and cannot tape. What they were doing is/was very much ILLEGAL.

#1
    Since Mr. Belli -“cheat” has been taping since 2000, there are a lot more than 6 tapes involved. They may not be in the form of tape anymore, but I’ll bet this stuff has been digitized, categorized, data-based, and is all instantly retrievable by any sort methodology you want. Hey, this is all legal . . . remember?

The real key to this unfolding story will be the “little people.” The Matt Walsh’s and Ernie Adams types. The grunt(s) and the supervisor who did and supervised the dirty work. By the way, Mr. Adams’ title is “Special Assistant” to the Head Coach. He was/is in charge of the Patriot’s video crew. He has been with Mr. Belli -“cheat” since his first head coaching job in Cleveland, and then also with the Jets. Just how long do think this “legal taping” has really been going on?

I used to really admire and respect the Patriots. They were the team not in a large market, not with the big payroll, not with loud-mouthed, glamor type players . . . they just quietly went about their business and kept getting to the top. They seemed to be the team that just knew how to do it the “right way.”

Nobody could quite figure out how they could consistently do it . . . . . now we’re beginning to find out.