An Experience Worth Every Penny We Spent.

1_med.jpgLast night, my wife and I went to a nice dinner and went to the musical Wicked, here at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles. Now, I want to tell you that I am not a “musical” kind of guy – I have seen a bunch of them, but the last one I really liked was RENT. So I was afraid I was not going to like Wicked at all, but boy was I wrong. Although I could do without many of the quieter, slower numbers, it was hilarious, sad, dynamic, and incredibly political. Talk about drawing similarities to today’s political climate – wow. But anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and if it is (or will be) playing in your city anytime soon, I highly recommend you check it out. You won’t be disappointed – almost every guy I know that has seen it has thought the same as I did before going, and came out loving it.

Overall, between dinner and the show, I think we spent about $250, but it was worth every penny. Experiences are worth a lot, as I have written about before.

1. Mrs. Micah says:

I LOVE Wicked. I listen to the original cast soundtrack often when I have to drive early in the morning. If we have any money I think we’d see it if it was in our area.

2. Add me to the list of guys you mentioned. Great show for sure, never look at the Wizard of Oz the same again. And normally I’m one of those guys that talks trash about musicals.

yea, it certainly opened my eyes! my wife explained that the original story was actually a political discourse, and now it makes sense!

4. kati says:

I love Wicked, although i have never seen the musical (it sold out months before it came) i have read the book over and over. Theres even a sequel called Son of a Witch. Also very good. The author of the books also writes a couple other books about disney fairytales with a twist.

I will have to check that out, thanks Kati!

6. Patrick says:

Wicked sold out in our area… I will have to wait another year or so to see it. About two months back my wife and I went out for dinner and a musical, and it was well worth the money spent! (We saw The Drowsy Chaperone; it was great!)

7. Dawn says:

No offense meant to Kati, but the book is very different from the musical (the musical is better, in my opinion, but I’m not a very deep thinker!), so you may want to look at it before you buy. The book is a lot darker than the musical.

I almost didn’t see the show because I didn’t like the book. As it happened, my mom had seen the show twice and loved, loved, loved it (our family spends a lot of time in Manhattan and my parents see shows all the time) and she insisted I go. It was the first show I saw after my daughter was born and the first time I left her for more than a couple hours. Unfortunately, Idina Menzel wasn’t there that night, but I was lucky enough to see Kristin Chenoweth, which was amazing.

If you liked Wicked, you might also want to see Hairspray when it comes to your area. Hairspray and Mamma Mia are both just a really good time.

I heard that about the book too, Dawn.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone!