How To Replace Missing Savings Bonds.

You think you remember your grandmother giving you U.S. Savings Bonds when you were younger…but they seem to have disappeared. Your mom says that you had hundreds of dollars worth of them…but they are all gone. How would you go about trying to find these missing bonds? Luckily the U.S. Government can be of some help here, as I had to do this a few years ago with some missing bonds and sure enough they were able to replace the missing bonds!

The first thing you need to do is put on your thinking cap. Who gave them to you, when were they given (approximately), and any other information you can think of pertaining to the missing bonds. Once you have collected as much information as you can, your next step is to visit the savings bonds website.

Head on over to www.savingsbonds.gov and click on the section for “Individuals”. Once on that page, in the top right search box type “lost bonds” and you will be given a bunch of search results. Your typical bond issue is Type E/EE, so you will see a search result called “Individual – Replacing or Reissuing EE/E Bonds“. Click on that link.

The page that you end up on has a lot of information on it about reissuing and/or replacing missing savings bonds. Most people who have lost their savings bonds just need them replaced and not reissued (this is more for change of ownership issues, adding beneficiaries), so you need to scroll down the page to the “When to Request Replacement” section. Here they give you two options:

  • If Your Bond is Lost before You Receive It – If you order a bond and don’t receive it within 15 business days, contact the institution where you bought it. The institution will try to find out why you didn’t get your bond and will help you fill out a claim form to request a replacement bond. If you don’t receive a bond you bought through a Payroll Savings Plan, contact your employer’s payroll office for a claim form.
  • If Your Bond is Lost or Destroyed after You Receive It – To get your bond replaced, fill out Form 1048 and follow the instructions.

In my case, my bonds were lost so I had to fill out Form 1048 and send it in to:

Bureau of the Public Debt
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012

After about 2 months, the Treasury had replaced a bunch of my savings bonds, which I then cashed in just last year. It was a surprisingly easy process for something having to do with such a large bureaucracy.

Like this article? Please consider subscribing to my full feed RSS. Or, if you would prefer, you can subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox by entering your email address in the box below. Your email will only be used to deliver a daily email and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Comments (9)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Jesse says:

    Great article! I had one from when I was much younger and I have no idea where it went, guess Ill give it a go 🙂

  2. Four Pillars says:

    I’m surprised…aren’t savings bonds almost the same as cash? I would have thought that if you lost them, you were out of luck.


  3. david says:

    No, they are registered with trackable serial #’s – thankfully.

  4. I, too, thought that when they were lost, you were SOL. I’ve filled out both the HH and EE forms and will be mailing them this week. I know that I have some bonds that were misplaced/trashed over the years, it’ll be interesting getting a check back for them now.

    Thanks for the info!

  5. […] Two Dollars ran down how to replace a missing savings bond. This is one of those things that we hear about all the time, but I’ve yet to find some good […]

  6. […] MyTwoDollars teaches us how to replace missing savings bonds. […]

  7. […] How To Replace Missing Savings Bonds at My Two Dollars […]

  8. Tisha says:

    Thank you so much for this, it was very helpful. I had already found the site that you ultimately sent me to, but didn’t see the replacing bonds part and kept trying to have them reissued, but it just didn’t feel right. Thank you for walking me through step by step.

  9. Lisa says:

    Where did you go to get your signature certified?