How High Can My MyPoints Account Balance Go?

Let’s see…I have not cashed in a single reward point from MyPoints since the beginning of 2007, when I cashed in 7,000 points for a $50 gift certificate for Hyatt Hotels. Since that time, I have accumulated an account balance of over 15,000 points just by clicking inside emails I get every day. What are a few of the gift cards I could I get if I decided to cash in all 15,000 points I have available?

$125 for LL Bean, or
$125 for Amazon.com, or
$125 to Applebees, or
$100 to Barnes and Noble, or
$125 to California Pizza Kitchen, or
$100 to the Gap, or

…and the list goes on. I could break my point balance down into several gift cards which would give me more options, but less money to spend in each place. Or…I could let it continue to build. However, I hate when account balances get so high that it would REALLY hurt if for some unforeseen reason the program got canceled – kind of like airlines miles that are no good anymore because the airline goes out of business. It scares me…

But I have been a member since 12/10/1998 – 10 years – and I have gotten a lot of stuff from them over the years so I don’t think they are going anywhere. Maybe I will see just how high my MyPoints balance will go!

1. lulugal11 says:

Hey you KNOW it can go high so why not use the points and get yourself a little treat?

Or if you do not want to spend the points on yourself you could get a few gift cards and run a promotion on your blog and give the cards out as prizes. :-)

2. Emily says:

You are clearly not impulsive like I am. I’d have those babies cashed in and spent in a heartbeat. :)

$100 at B&N. I’m in!

3. Mrs. Micah says:

Oooh, I’m thinking Amazon. *sigh* Must go check my mypoints e-mail. :)

4. I’ve been a member since 1998 or something like that and have never cashed in any points. I have 24,448. I’ve done the math a few times to try to figure out what the best conversion factor is, and my wife keeps yelling at me to stop thinking so much and get SOMETHING. She uses her points for Starbucks cards, which she wouldn’t otherwise get to have.

5. Thanks for posting this, David! I joined a little less than a year ago and haven’t redeemed my points yet since I was shooting for a $50 Amazon gift cert. I didn’t realize MyPoints has been around for so long so thanks for letting me know, I find that very reassuring. And now that I’ve learned that I could get a $125 Amazon cert, I think I might wait until I have enough points for that. I’m glad I’m not the only one hoarding points! :)

And I am glad to see that I am not the only one hoarding them! :-)

7. bargainbtch says:

Been out of town so this is a little late, but I had to post because just yesterday I was catching up on emails, clicking for all the points and then after seeing my balance spent the afternoon debating cashing out my 75,000 my points (member since 98). I could get anywhere form $500 – $600 worth depending on where I spend it. The BP gas cards are a good value, but I don’t have one near by. We wanted a new TV for the bedroom, so Circuit City sounded nice. Then again I have been saying for two years I was going to get a PDA to get organized….It will probably site there for another few months before I consider it again.

75,000!!!! Maybe I will hold on to mine a little longer!

9. Elizabeth says:

:X I think amazon.com pulled out from MyPoints or something because it’s no longer offered. or at least I can’t find it anywhere x.x

Maybe so, that’s too bad!

11. Gabriella says:

Hello, I want to sell my mind Mypoints.com, but can not find buyer, someone offered to buy my own?, I do not have many points I have around 2000 points, I hope some good response.

12. Chris says:

I have about 70,000 mypoints currently. Does anybody know if you can use multiple gift cards for a single purchase. For example: I can get 5 – $100 gift cards from Staples, can I use those together to buy a computer or camera that costs more than $500? I ask this question because I have experienced some credit card rewards where you get three gift cards for $25 each and then they tell you that they only accept one of those cards per purchase.

I did it with Amazon gift cards no problem.

14. cinnamonsugah says:

Just a heads up, mypoints has been cancelling a lot of accounts without warning. They recently cancelled mine with no warning and no explanation. I emailed them 3 times and they will only reply with a form email. I had been a member there since 1999 and have redeemed over 50,000 points over the years. I had close to 3000 points in my account and they are GONE! After it happened, I googled closed mypoints account and found that it is happening to a lot of people. It seems like they are claiming people have violated terms of service but conveniently refusing to say what they have done. It also seems like 3000 points is the “magic number” for getting your account cancelled. Some complaints I found suggested that the bad economy may have hurt them and they need to re-coup some $$$! If you are saving for something, you may be better off cashing in while you still can! Beware Mypoints!