Dumbest Product Ever – LEGO Fruit-Flavored Snacks.

Now there is a great idea – make a kids’ snack that looks just like the toys that they play with! Why hadn’t I ever thought of that? Like kids don’t put enough of everything around the house in their mouths, now we are going to give them actual “food” (and I use that term lightly) that looks exactly like their toys. Brilliant!

Parents spend years trying to teach their kids what to eat and not to eat…and here come the masterminds at Kellogs and LEGO’s to undo all of that work. How much do these geniuses get paid to come up with this unbelievably stupid ideas? Parents please do not buy these for your kids…there are already enough hazards for them to choke on that you don’t need to encourage more eating of toys.

1. Laura says:

LOL! My husband just shared this with me last night. It’s a horrible idea for young children.

2. Merna says:

Here’s the phone number for Kellog’s Consumer Affairs Department at 800-962-1413.

They should be bombarded with phone calls from parents!!

But the best way to hit them is in the wallet.

Don’t buy these products!!

3. Jake says:

Pretty similar article at Penny-Arcade.

4. Jeff in PDX says:

I am a parent and have come up with a great idea to combat products like this.

I’m not going to buy them for my kids. Pretty crazy idea, I know. When my kid is old enough to know the difference between food and toys then I will reevaluate the decision.

5. AA says:

Sorry to rain on everyone’s outrage, but I agree with Jeff. I don’t think these come with an “age appropriate” label on them, but use some common sense people! If your child is too young to know not to swallow a lego piece then don’t buy them this candy. There are more than enough other fruit-type products out there to fill in while your child grows up.

Also, don’t most lego sets have an age threshold that is above standard “stick everything that will fit in my mouth” age? If your child is too young for a toy, don’t buy them the toy! I’m sticking with stuffed animals 🙂

6. Mrs. Micah says:

@ AA June, they do. Of course, what you buy for your kid and what you kid comes across through friends and playgroups may be completely different. Unless you are with him 100% of the time.

But if we all don’t buy these products, perhaps they’ll just go away.

7. Even though my son is old enough to know the difference… I don’t buy *anything* that endorses a character just because it’s the same as the generic… not to mention I shouldn’t condone unhealthy snacks either way.

Offer to buy the same thing without the character and they will decline anyway… all they want is the box! 🙂

Of course parents should know better, but obviously not all of them do – and that’s why companies make stuff like this. If every parent really did know better and/or care, our kids would be all eating healthy snacks and not crap like this shaped like LEGO’s and filled with high-fructose corn syrup and the like!

9. […] Two Dollars:  Dumbest Product Yet.  Click through to see what it is – as a parent I’m pretty disgusted.  We won’t be […]

10. Wess Stewart says:

Bad idea.

Much more pleasant to step on at 2:00 a.m, though…

Absolutely Wess, good point!

12. […] Two Dollars: Ugh! I agree with David here that Lego fruit-flavored snacks are hazards! Not a good thing to feed your kids if they’re young enough to still be playing […]

13. Catherine says:

I think these are a cute idea… but I’ll be buying them for myself. And this is one food that I will definitely be playing with.

14. jenni says:

I think the parents are stupid, If your child isn’t old enough to know better than to put stuff in their mouths don’t give it to them! They do have recommended ages on the stuff. I am a parent of a 4 year old and a 10 year old.(They both LOVE Legos) They know the difference between what to eat and what not to eat. Another thing they make different size legos for different age groups, try lego duplo, if your kids are too small to know, kids can’t swallow those.

15. Nick says:

I know, what is Kellog’s thinking? I bought my 4 year old The Tractor Fruit Snacks and when we visited a farm, she tried to eat one of the threshers!!!

Oh wait, no. I’m intelligent enough to teach my kids how and what to eat. Don’t LEGOs come in an age appropriate box and fruit snacks in a little bag that is handed to them from a parent? Stop being such an incompetant parent. If your child is not old enough – or just flat out stupid – to know what is food and what is toys, don’t give it to them – and maybe consider some special-ed classes. For you both!