MyPoints Balance Continues To Climb; What Shall I Redeem Them For?

Back in April, I wrote about MyPoints and how my account balance was high enough that I felt comfortable spending the points on something good. I ended up getting a $100 Barnes & Noble gift card, which isn’t bad for not doing much work! And now, in a very short 5 months, my balance is back up to over 17,000 points – meaning I have over $125 worth of points to redeem. From checking out the site last night, here are some of my options for spending my accumulated points:

I could get both a $100 Pottery Barn gift card and a $25 Bloomingdales gift card. However, I don’t care much for Pottery Barn and I don’t have a Bloomingdales anywhere near me.

Or, I could get a…

$100 gift card for Subway restaurants, but that seems like a lot of sandwiches to eat.

$100 gift card at Amazon.com, which could always come in handy.

$125 gift card at Callaway golf shops, but I don’t really golf too much anymore.

$110 gift card at CVS, but we don’t have those here.

$120 gift card at REI, which would really be a cool way to spend the points. We love shopping there.

$110 gift card at Target, which like Amazon.com, would always come in handy.

And my last choice could be a $125 gift card for Circuit City, and that is where I am leaning. I could combine that $125 with the $450 in Amex points I have saved since getting my American Express Preferred Rewards Card which I put all my expenses on (it’s a business card, but anyone can get one), to have $575 to spend at Circuit City. I could pick up a nice LCD TV for only a little bit more of my own money, or maybe even a new video camera that we have been eyeing…pretty cool for reading some emails and charging my regular expenses to a worthwhile card, no?

Decisions, decisions. Oh MyPoints, how you taunt me to cash in!

Or, I could just let them sit and keep growing – but it makes me nervous that something might happen to them. (I know, it’s ridiculous). What would you do? Do you use MyPoints? If not, you are missing out on free money. They have never spammed me and all I do is read the emails and buy items through them that I would have to buy anyway, like my printer ink from 123inkjets.com, which gets me 350 points each time.

1. I am also a huge fan of MyPoints – we’ve been getting REI gift cards, and are saving up for a nice mess kit and some better sleeping bags.

If I were you, I wouldn’t get a gift card to a merchant that you weren’t sure you would use. Target and Amazon sound good (especially for some early Christmas shopping), but you should also consider rewarding yourself (ie. Circuit City).

2. thinkingthing says:

Man, I probably would’ve gone for the $100 Subway gift card. What is that, like 20-25 combos? That’s work lunch for a month!

Maybe so, but I work from home and make lunch here!

4. I use MyPoints and I think they’re great. The last time I redeemed my points it was for a blog promotion- I gave away three ten dollar gift cards. If I were keeping them for myself, I would use the points for holiday presents at Amazon or Target…

5. cwaltz says:

I cashed in for a $50 target gift card. That was just from reading emails, using coupons, signing up for stuff like the Home Depot Garden club, and doing the 10 searches per month. I’m almost up to enough for another $10 card.

6. I’ve had a MyPoints account for 10 years and have yet to redeem any points. I have something like 30,000 points — mostly collected by clicking on ads, but rarely by actually buying anything. My wife has been after me to cash some points in, but I want to get the best value for the points. I have been struggling with this decision for months, though I like Kelly’s idea!

30,000 – thats a lot of gift card $!

8. If you’re trying to figure out which gift card would best maximize your points, you can read Paid Twice’s analysis at http://www.paidtwice.com/2008/01/23/maximizing-your-mypoints-rewards/

Thanks Kelly!

10. Hank says:

My wife and I save up our points until the end of the year and then use them to get different gift cards for Christmas gifts.

11. […] I finally traded in some of my 18,000 points I had saved up over at MyPoints. I traded them in for gift certificates to Amazon.com so that we […]

12. […] MyPoints Balance Continues To Climb; What Shall I Redeem Them For? MyPoints is a great way to make a few extra bucks online – using only a few minutes of your spare time every now and then. […]

13. Jim says:

I’m sitting at over 43,000. Tried to do United miles but it keeps telling me that my UA MP number is invalid. United says it is a mypoints problem and vice-versa. I believe United; I know my Mileage Plus number!

14. Linda says:

Why limit yourself to a gift card at a particular store? Cash is king. My Visa rewards card offers cash for points. At 35,000 points you get a $350 check. Redeeming less than that amount gives you a less desirable ratio, so it is best to wait until you have at least 35,000.

15. Jim says:

This discussion was going on just fine, staying on topic and some great suggestions. Then my friend LEEEENDA (from the Doritos commercial a few years ago) posts about something NOT mypoints. As soon as somebody posts off-topic you know that they need to have the scarlet “L” tattoo on their forehead.

Linda, this post has nothing to do with credit cards – it’s about emails that come to your inbox.

Jim- very funny!