OK, so I had a basic “what if” book put together for my wife/family if something were to happen to me, but after reading the book “Family CFO” that I talked about last week, I have begun putting together a comprehensive emergency packet…just in case.
I will be making three copies of this information as follows: The first copy will be on paper and in the safe in our house. The second copy will be on paper and will be kept at the bank. The third copy will be in digital format and will be on our home computer, a USB thumb drive, and our backup hard-drives. This way the information will be preserved no matter what calamity happens…unless of course something happens to my entire town and the bank vault all on the same day that something happens to me. And if that happens, well…
As for what will be included in this information, well, this is what I have been working on so far:
- Bank account(s) numbers, website addresses, and login information. This includes checking, savings, mutual funds, retirement accounts, etc.
- Insurance forms & phone numbers (health, home, & car)
- Information about our car loan, when the bill is due and how it is paid and to whom
- Although I won’t make copies of them, the location of my medical records. After all the health issues I had in the last year and then moving out of state, my doctors gave me dictionary-sized folders of my records
- All our credit card accounts, numbers, website addresses and login information for each
- A list of all bills that get paid each month, and whether they get paid automatically by our bank or not
- The phone numbers of close friends, business associates,doctors, etc
- All my blogging information – which sites I own, the logins for each, how I make my money from each, etc. Even if my family decides not to continue any of my work, they will probably be owed money!
- Depending on your personal situation, you might also want to include info about your will, power of attorney choices/location, a household inventory of your expensive assets, etc.
I don’t want my wife or anyone else to have to deal with managing my affairs while dealing with whatever happened. If they can access one piece of information that will tell them how our household is run, it will make their life so much easier. A little bit of my time in advance can go a long way to helping them out should anything unfortunate happen. Do you have a plan in place in case of “what if…”? If not, you might want to think about at least putting together the bare minimum!