Do You Cut Coupons? And If So, Where Do You Find Them?

Although I would love to find/use more of them, we have a hard time with using coupons because of the kind of products we buy. We purchase as much organic, natural, local foods as much as possible, and it is very rare to find coupons for those types of goods. I did once find a coupon for organic yogurt from Stonyfield Farms, and I do use coupons that Seventh Generation have on their site for their own cleaning products when I need them. Every Sunday I see all the coupons for junk food and foods full of artificial ingredients, but because we don’t buy them they all go to waste. So my question to you is…do you use coupons?

Do you cut coupons from the paper?

Have you joined any coupon clubs?

Ever found any clubs/sites for organic food coupons?

Do you trade/sell your coupons on Ebay?

Let me know in the comments, would love to learn more about what you guys do to save money on the stuff you buy at the grocery store. Maybe your helpful hints will help me and all the other readers out!

1. I’m not into eating organic, but I live in NYC and our Sunday coupon inserts have regional variations that include coupons for organic and unusual products (at the expense of ones I actually want, grr). To be specific, I remember organic pet food, cage-free Eggland, and Amish organic pasta.

So to answer your questions…

– Yes, I cut coupons from the Sunday papers

– Pretty sure coupon clubs don’t exist in Manhattan, but I might try looking into it

– Have never sought out coupons for organic

– I just recently started buying coupons on eBay to take advantage of very advantageous pharmacy/supermarket deals.

2. Amphritrite says:

Yep, coupon clipper here.

I have to constantly explain to people that the coupons in the newspaper are not all junk food. Despite the fact that it gets really irritating having to say that over and over when the checkout lady questions why you have three newspapers and then gasps in an effort to get that junk-food-laden phrase out of her mouth, it’s interesting to see peoples’ eyes widen when you spill the secret that the rumor is simply not true.

YES. There are a lot of coupons for processed food. But, dear Buyer, you have the option not to pick them up off the shelf. I can’t tell you the last time I bought soda or chips. I can’t say when the last time I purchased a box of Rice-a-roni or mac-n-cheese.

For me, the savings comes from household goods – cleaners, laundry items, fragrance, TP, sponges, etc. etc., as well as the stack of coupons for things I will actually eat, like Cuties (those are Mandarin Oranges) or $1 off a bag of salad or a Buy 10 for $10 half-gallons of milk.

All in all, I spend about $15 on food, household goods, and pet products a week total for my family, my sister’s family, my mother’s family, and two other families in my building who have fallen on hard times.

The point is not to lecture you, dear Buyer, but to direct your interest of coupons in a positive direction. My suggestion is to go to Hot Coupon World (website) and check out their sister Organic Couponing site, keep planning your meals appropriately, and then buy ONE newspaper this coming weekend to see if there’s anything you can use or use a clipping service to collect the coupons that your family will use.

Amphritrite – We only buy natural cleaners, recycled paper toilet paper, organic milk, etc etc – so even those coupons in the paper do not serve us at all either. That’s why I was asking about coupons for the type of things we do buy, since I have trouble finding them. Not every coupon is for junk food, I agree, but they are just not for products that we buy at our house. We get the paper every Sunday and there are never coupons we can use. I will check out the organic coupon site you mentioned, maybe there will be some there!

4. I’m with you, David. I rarely find coupons for the groceries I buy because I tend to buy organic and I tend to buy ingredients rather than processed or prepared foods. I will use coupons once in a while for toiletries or TP or cleaning supplies, but we just don’t buy that stuff more than a few times per year. I make my own laundry detergent.

I will use Cascadian Farm and Muir Glen coupons for organic products when I can find them. (Not often.) And Organic Valley has coupons on their website for organic dairy. That’s about all I use.

I buy almost all of my meat and much of my dairy directly from sustainable farms, and in the summer I grow most of our produce. Add to that that I bake all our bread and buy flour in 50 pound bags and there isn’t too much left to use a coupon for in the first place.

I haven’t traded coupons or joined clubs. A family member was saving the coupon insert for me for a while, since I don’t have a subscription.

That’s what we do too – our meat is local, our cheese is local, I bake our bread, etc etc, so it’s very hard to find coupons for anything we actually buy!

6. Craig says:

You can always go to coupons.com and see what they have.

7. CaseyMcSmith says:

My local Whole Foods has Mambo Sprouts coupon booklets near the front entrance. There is also a Mambo Sprouts website that you can print coupons off of. Google that.

8. I’ve just started clipping coupons in an effort to reduce our $500 a month grocery budget. So far it’s been the Sunday paper and I’ve also utilized Upromise.

9. Dawn says:

I don’t get the paper, but like you, most of my food is organic or raised locally and I buy mostly organic cleaners and so forth. However, I have been purchasing coupons for home improvement store of eBay. I easily make back double what I spend and they help a lot on DIY projects. I also am a big fan of using coupons when dining out. I find them in local papers or use restaurant.com (Which they call a gift certificate, but it is a coupon to me.)

10. Sandy says:

I think most people get coupons from yes, the Sunday paper, Smart Source, Cool Savings, Coupon.com, Coupon Mom, eBay and the like. It’s hard to find coupons for organic products but sometimes they have coupons on individual company websites. Good luck!

11. Patty says:

We are mostly vegetarian and buy mostly whole foods, buying local and organic when we can. So no I find little use for coupons,but I still look for them. There are certain items I have found coupons for such as shampoo,conditioner, cleaners etc. The organic coupons are out there you just have to look a bit harder. My problem is I dont find coupons too often for potatoes and heads of lettuce 😉
    Where I do find more luck though is looking for freebies and samples, a lot of the organic, whole food companies are anxious to have you try their products and do send out samples or coupons for free products.

12. Thankful says:

Muir Glen and Cascadian Farms do release coupons pretty often in the sunday fliers, but not often enough to justify buying the paper every week. Maybe subscribe to a coupon feed? You could probably find something like MoneySavingMom.com, but for organic deals/coupons. Otherwise, I would check out the individual sites of most brands that you use. Many will mail you coupons if you join their mailing list.

Thanks Thankful, for the tips!

14. Becky says:

Many people get their coupons from http://www.thecouponclippers.com. She’s been mentioned in the Wall Street Journal and Ladies Home Journal, etc.

15. Jenni says:

There are places in the stores where they have some coupons that you may not find in other places. Not to mention going to the site of the company that makes those products. And occasionally I luck out and find a coupon inside the packaging, or within the product, like with coffee. And I think it is about.com, which has a place to get coupons too. Some women’s journals, like the one put out by Walmart, also have coupons, even for makeup.

16. Lyn says:

I get organic coupons and offers from sites such as Earthbound Farms, Coleman’s Organic, Prairie Organic, Organic Horizons, Laura’s Lean Beef, Organic Valley, Muir Glen (Betty Crocker), Ecover, and the California Milk Advisory Board site for coupons on CA. milk and cheese products which I use to buy organic dairy products.