Finding & Buying Eco-Friendly Checks Online.

A few weeks ago my friend Jim over at Bargaineering had a post up about buying checks online, right about the time that I was, well, looking to buy checks online. Funny how that always works that way! Although I didn’t go with his recommendation as I don’t shop at Walmart for my own personal reasons, I did end up buying from a different company than I have bought from in the past. For the last X amount of years or so, as long as I can remember, I have been buying our checks online Checks In The Mail. I never had any problems with them at all, but this time I was looking for checks made from recycled paper and printed with non-toxic inks – and I managed to find them at a reasonable price!

The Check Gallery came to my rescue, as they only sell environmentally friendly checks. They had a deal for new customers where if you buy one box, the second box is only $.10, so my total came to a whopping $11.06 for two boxes, and shipping by UPS Ground was free. The checks are made from recycled paper and printed with soy-based inks, so the minute amount of checks that I do write didn’t have too much of an effect on the environment at all prior to coming to my house.

Now that I have the checks, I can say that I can recommend these guys if you need checks that are A. reasonably priced and B. environmentally friendly. $11 for 2 boxes of checks printed on recycled paper and delivered for free? Sold. At the rate I go, about 2-3 checks a month max, these should last me a very, very long time!

1. Do you know how much of an impact the “normal” checks have? If it is not that big, I am tempted to continue using normal checks that I can get for free though my bank.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Short and sweet. I like the concept though. I’m assuming you can also by business check in this fashion. I rarely use any personal check anymore, but still find the need to write the occasional business check.

Nate, I have no idea, but I imagine it is not small when you add up the total amount of checks used in the world. That paper is used from virgin trees cut specifically for paper (but non-recycled TP is even worse, why use new paper to do that?), and the inks are petroleum based. So it would make a difference if more people switched.

Baker, they do have business checks, yep!

4. Dan says:

Why do you folks still use checks? Stop using checks altogether and completely eliminate the environmental impact.

I haven’t had a checkbook for 3 years now and I don’t miss it. I can write checks out of my online bill-pay, and if it’s something I need a large amount for, I can either get a cashier’s check or money order. Otherwise I use my Visa check card.

The only time it was an issue was signing up for direct deposit from my employer. They wanted a voided check, but relented when I was able to provide them with a letter from my bank.

It’s not always possible to use something other than checks where I live.

6. Sarah says:

Great idea! I’m going to bookmark the site so I can use it next time I need to buy checks!!! I’m like you though, it will be a while bfore I need them!

7. Michele says:

I had these very checks for years. Got them because it had a dolphin 🙂

But I get free checks from my bank, and I use online banking most of the time. I write less than 10 checks a year, so my box of 100 checks that I got 4 years ago is still pretty full.

Great company tho.

8. Jenni says:

They outdid one I read on another blog. I checked it since they were talking of the first timers getting a cheaper price. I found they have recycled checks, but how would you find out if it is eco-friendly?
    I like these ones, so I will get them when I order for some new checks. I do use checks, and the register that comes with them to keep track of checks and ATM take outs.

9. Nathan says:

@Jenni, their website reports that they use 100% recycled paper with minimum 20% post-consumer and only biodegradable soy-based, nonpetroleum inks. I think that’s about as good as you get for a check printer, versus standard checks with no such assurances.

10. April says:

Thanks for the advice! They look nicer than comparable recycled/soy ink checks I found elsewhere. But now they charge a little under $6 for handling (making $18 total).
    This may be a new development for recession-era business. So that makes Walmart is still a little cheaper (but since I’m with you in avoiding Walmart when it’s easy to do so I still didn’t buy from Walmart). Though if you buy two boxes it’s only $5 different. And that’s half the cost of buying them from the bank.

11. Tamara says:

April,

Walmart sells eco-friendly checks.