Sunday Money Roundup – Used Motorcyle Edition.

Now that warm weather has arrived, my yearly longing for a motorcycle has cropped up again. Every year I think “this will be the year” when I finally get my license and a cheap used bike…and then another year passes without doing it. Will this be the year? Where I live there is so much open space and scenery that owning a bike would make for some amazing weekend trips. One of these days I guess I will have to give in, no? On to the roundup…

My Dollar Plan has 6 Job Search Tips for New College Grads. They will need all the help they can get!

Wealth Pilgrim talks about 5 Ways (Some of Us) Can Stick It To The IRS In 2009.

Cash Money Life has some Reasons to Buy Whole Life Insurance.

Remodeling This Life talks about Going Without…in a good way.

Yielding Wealth has 3 Ideas For Additional Retirement Income.

Money Ning teaches you How to Trick Your Spouse into Sticking with a Budget.

Being Frugal wants you to Make Use of the Outdoors, and I could not agree more. It’s free and it’s beautiful!

Consumerism Commentary has some Education Opportunities for the Unemployed.

Corporate Barbarian says that Your Weight is Costing You Money, and I agree!

Moolanomy tells you How To Prepare For Car Breakdown And Deal With Roadside Emergencies.

1. Flexo says:

Thanks for the link!

2. Steve Rhode says:

I read your post on my iphone, in bed, and immediately got out of bed to get my laptop to comment. This is a really important issue, seriously.

I am a motorcycle rider and a personal finance blogger. There are few others of us as well out there.

Riding a motorcycle is not an expense, it is an investment in yourself. You only get one pass at life and there are no do-overs here.

Sure, riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, and you can die. But, and this is the big but, it can also be a most enjoyable, liberating, wonderful, exciting, and adventurous experience of the rest of your life.

I ride a Suzuki Burgman and also run the site BurgmanRiders.com. In the past I owned a BMW K1200LT and a Yahama 650. No matter what bike I ride, the people you meet are friendly, helpful, and great souls. Yes, even the HD riders who want to look like a bad ass are nice once you get past the shell.

I rode my BMW from DC to San Diego and was amazed by all the people I met along the way. Everyone was so nice and kind. It made me love my country even more.

I submit that waiting to ride is a mistake. Get your ride on right now. But make sure you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class first. It will help to make you a better rider.

This is the time to buy a used bike. So many great deals out there.

If you are ever near North Carolina, I’ll ride with you any day.

Steve

Thanks Steve. You know, I try to live in “the now” as much as possible in most situations of my life, but this is one where I have been putting it off for a long time. Guess it’s time to really look into it now!

4. Steve Rhode says:

Seriously, yes.

For those of us that love to ride, it is in our souls.

Steve
    @GetOutOfDebtGuy

5. Patrick says:

Go buy a bike. You’ll love it. I had one for about 2 years, and it was great. I don’t have one now because I don’t have room for it in my garage (and nowhere to put it outside), but I would consider it otherwise. And I will second the notion that most motorcycle riders are friendly and helpful. There is an understanding and shared bond. It’s pretty cool. 🙂

6. Neal Frankle says:

Thanks for the link.

I may be a complete square but I am not a fan of the motorcycle.

I hope I don’t alienate anyone but I’ll share the three rules I have for dating my daughters:
    1. no tattoos
    2. no drugs
    3. no motorcycles

I’m sure it’s a lot of fun but too dangerous for me – or my kids.

7. Miranda says:

Thanks for including me! And I hope you get a bike soon. I’ve never owned one, but I’ve been on plenty of rides, and they are always enjoyable — especially when the weather is fine.

8. Amy says:

I had the same itch several years ago… I signed up for the soonest Motorcycle Safety Foundation course near me, and got my license that summer. I haven’t taken the step to actually make the purchase (I’m just about to finish off my student loans), but I did get off my butt to take the classes so that when the money isn’t the question, I am ready to go!

9. Steve Rhode says:

Amy,

Good for you. A dream in progress is stored happiness waiting to be released.

Check eBay for inexpensive motorcycles. Loads of them out there.

Steve