Looking At The Comcast Triple-Play Package For My New Home.

This is where having such amazing readers comes in handy – I need your advice! I am considering signing up for the Comcast Triple-Play package at my new apartment, which consists of internet, VOIP phone, and cable TV with some HD channels. Right now, I have a mish-mash of different providers for all three, and I am looking at A. saving some money and B. consolidating the three down to a single bill each month. However, after hearing so many horror stories about Comcast, I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on signing up. (Although, I have had more than my fair share of problems with DirecTV, so who knows…) Here is what I currently have as a set up here at my house in New Mexico:

• Internet – Qwest “naked DSL” for $54 per month
  • Phone – Vonage for $31 per month
  • Satellite – DirecTV for $67 per month

Grand total for my services here? $152 per month. Not bad, but not great. Now, what I can get with the triple-play in Colorado?

• Faster Internet, VOIP phone, and HD cable TV – $130 per month ($114 + fees)

Now granted, it looks like I am only going to save about $20 per month, but that’s $240 a year – which isn’t pocket change. I would be MORE than happy to get rid of DirecTV – in fact, I cannot wait for the day to be free of them. However, Qwest has always been great, as has Vonage. But a savings $240 is cash in my pocket, and in exchange for that savings I get more cable channels and faster internet service. In 12 months, the rate goes up of course, but I can always cancel and get something else (or ask for another 12 months under threat of canceling). On paper, this all sounds great…which is hopefully where you guys come in!

Do any of you have this package? How much do you pay? Is it worth it? Are the horror stories about Comcast true? I realize everyone has different experiences with companies, but you never know. If anyone has any thoughts on this, or any experiences they would like to share, I I would love to hear from you! And yes, I know I could go without cable TV – and I have at different times. But considering the fact that A. I work from home and B. my work involves writing about what goes on in the world, I consider it an investment in my sanity and my work!

1. ComcastMark says:

Hello There! Give us a try. We will definitely look for the best package for you. You can email us at the email provided below. We will be happy to assist!

Regards,

Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

2. Chris says:

Is the price of the triple play an introductory rate? Did you consider the cost of paying a rental fee for the modem and cable boxes? I’m not sure if it is an option for you but I have Uverse from att and find it quite good. The UI of their “cable boxes” is superior to that of Comcast (in my opinion). Uverse also doesn’t stick ads in their guide like Comcast does. I know it’s silly but the ads in the guide where the straw on my camel’s back when I had them. In the same month they raised prices and started putting ads in their guide. Okay rant over. Regarding VOIP: I’ve had Vonage for 3 or so years and I think it’s great. I initially had the 500 minute plan back when it was $15.00/mo. I’m not sure they still offer it but I was grandfathered in. Just recently, I was seeing where I could save money and decided that I was only using 80 or so minutes on Vonage and called to cancel. My wife and I decided we didnt need it with our cell phones paired with a google voice number. (Google voice is awesome by the way) I ended up staying because they offered us a $9.99 plan for 100 outgoing minutes with free incoming. The plan also includes all the other features that the more expensive plans offer. It’s not advertised but I imagine that you could get it if you called. At any rate, I’m interested to hear how it turns out.

3. Chris says:

Eeks! Should have used paragraphs…sorry!

No worries Chris! I cannot get ATT where I am moving to – it’s either Comcast for all, or Qwest for only phone/internet. I also use way over 500 mins a month on my Vonage, so I cant downgrade there.

I do think the rental fees on Comcast’s “stuff” is absurd – they really try to get every last penny from you. I am going to give them a call and see what happens.

5. Chad says:

I’ve used Comcast in the past, and never again. Though when I moved recently and Verizon fubar’d everything to heck, i seriously considered switching back (couldn’t bring myself to do it, however).

With Comcast – I have three main issues:
    1) Price – Even with their triple play the prices are higher than other offerings in my area.
    2) Bandwidth Caps – I resent having a cap of any kind on my Internet service. If it truly won’t affect 90% of their customers as they say, then they don’t need to have them on there.
    3) Customer service – When I did have a problem with Comcast, calling them yielded me hours of frustration with no results. Service often returned without having gotten anywhere on the phone.

Some of this may have gotten better in recent years, but the memories still burn (2005).

–chad

Thanks Chad, appreciate your input. For my new area, their price is OK but am worried about customer service. However, after dealing with DirecTV, nothing could possibly be worse.

7. Chad says:

Except Dish Network. 🙂

I’m convinced that good customer service is a thing of the past. Though recently Verizon has done well, so maybe it’s not a completely lost battle.

Keep this in mind too (we did when looking at Verizon’s version of the Triple Play): What kind of reliability / options do you have when all three of your services are with the same carrier? If one goes down, they all go down.

Also, something Dish Network likes to do (not sure about Comcast) is to lock you into a long contract, but only guarantee pricing through the first half of the contract, thus forcing you to pay what they choose the second half of the contract.

8. Jeremy says:

We just recently switched to the Triple Play with Comcast. I have mixed feelings, but I’ll share my thoughts. First, I NEED cable internet. Where I live DSL is either not an option of the speeds are just way too slow. That being said, I was using Comcast internet whether we had their other services or not. What sucks is if you do that you’re stuck with an additional $10 or $12 fee since you don’t have a TV package. But for a long time that’s what I did while using Dish Network.

But when we moved not long ago I was shopping around my options. I could keep the Dish and keep the Comcast internet and transfer service to our new house. The price was around $85/month for Dish and $65/month for internet, so we were paying $150/month. And that didn’t even include any premium movie channels!

Looking at the Comcast Triple Play they had an offer for basically $150/month for the biggest package. That means virtually every channel, the sports package, AND HBO, Showtime, and Starz. That price was good for one year, and then it came with a price lock guarantee or something where the second year of service would only increase by $10/month. That’s still a far better deal than what we were getting with Dish and internet separate, and this even comes with the VoIP service. So, for two years it’s a no-brainer.

But that’s not to say I don’t have my issues. For one, I loved Dish. Loved the DVR, the menus, and how the remote worked with fast forward and stuff. Comcast sucks in that regard. On the other hand, my wife thinks the On Demand is the best thing since sliced bread, which we didn’t have much of with Dish.

Second, we don’t have much of a use for a landline telephone. In fact, we haven’t had a land line in about 6 years so it seemed like the triple play was a waste since we got the phone service too, but it is still cheaper to get that than the double play. That being said, we did plug a phone in and have a land line for now. In the end I doubt we will use it much but since it’s there I might as well have a phone and fax machine hooked in. At the very least I could use google voice to forward calls and treat it like a business line or something. So it isn’t a total waste.

So, for us it just made sense. We get better programming for the same price plus the phone line. The only drawback is the on-screen interface and small DVR. But I don’t mind sticking with them for this rate for 2 years before seeing what other options will be available at that time.

Thanks for your input on this Jeremy. It sounds like the best deal for me at this point, at least for the next 2 years. I do have a home phone because I work from home and hate using a cell all day long!

Hope Comcast can come through with a good deal for me, otherwise will have to stick with Qwest, Vonage, and watching TV online.

10. I currently have the Comcast “Triple Play” plan and I am pretty happy with it but I agree that all the rental fees for the equipment is pretty absurd.

My internet service is great and I have no problems with the phone service; although I don’t really use it that much. The only reason I have a home phone at all is because of my alarm.

I keep hearing great things about AT&T U-verse and I wish I could get it at my house. One of my friends has it and it is awesome…and cheaper than Comast.

11. Katie says:

I have had Comcast before and was pleased with their service. I currently have Verizon FIOS, which I like even better. I didn’t go for a package because I don’t need phone service (I use my cell phone), and I only pay for local television (but still get it through the cable so I can DVR it!).

I dropped Comcast several years ago cuz their customer service sucked.

The plan you propose does not sound that good to me.

Have you heard of AT&T Uverse? New company, tons of pormo giveaways. Gift cards, 2 free months, the whole works.

I have them for satellite and hi-speed internet, for just under $80 a month.

I would ditch the pone service or get MagicJack–$25 per year.

Just one man’s opinion

ATT is not available in my new town.

As for the phone, well, I work from home so need a phone that works all the time, even if the computer is off. Without the VOIP phone, Comcast is the same price as your ATT plan is, so it’s a pretty fair deal. Still have my concerns about them though, from what I have heard from others. 🙂

14. Jeremy says:

With anything, I think the customer service just depends with who you get and/or who services your area. A few times I had to call Dish and the service was fantastic. A few other times I called and it was hell.

Same thing with comcast. When we moved we waited too long to schedule an install and at first they said it would be 2 weeks before they could get someone out to run a new line to the house. That was unacceptable, but I made a few more calls and got someone who could come out the very next day.

That was awesome! Then whey they did come out, they had the wrong box. The DVR they had didn’t have HDMI, and I told him that was something I requested. But the installer made some calls, pulled some strings, and even sat here and twiddled his thumbs for a few hours until someone brought him the right box. He didn’t have to do that and could have just said sorry, use this box for now and we’ll send a new one out in a day or two. So again, that was great customer service.

Then of course, just fast forward a few days later after I discovered an audio problem with our second HD box in the basement. Whenever I was using digital audio out there were skips in the sound. I called them up and they sent a tech out first thing in the morning, which was great. But the guy they sent was a complete douchebag. He just kept insisting that it was my receiver that was causing the problem even though I showed him that you could plug ANY other device into the same audio jacks and it works fine, and only the Comcast box was causing the problem. He just kept giving me the run around and blaming it on my equipment when it’s the same equipment I’ve been using for years with both Comcast and Dish network without issues in the past. So, I just went to the comcast place myself and swapped the box with a DVR instead of the regular HD box and the sound issue was fixed.

So, you will hear customer service horror stories for any provider, so I think it really just depends on who you happen to get. Some people care and want to help customers and others don’t. It’s the luck of the draw.

15. Austin says:

In my opinion, having satellite TV means wasting $67/month ($804 a year!). I love my FREE over the air broadcast HD TV. No, I don’t get 500 channels, but do you REALLY need them? I find plenty of other more productive, and more intellectually worthwhile than watching TV. Plus, I don’t get bombarded by the consumerism mentality!

You didn’t say if you had a cell phone, but I assume you do, so I think your best option is to just get high speed internet.

Just my $0.02 🙂

16. Austin says:

dangit. Is there an “edit comment” function?

… I find plenty of other more productive, and more intellectually activities other than watching TV….

Maybe I should try proofreading!

It’s not about the cost for me, it’s about convenience and purpose. I work from home and my job involves design, writing, current affairs, etc. I also spend a lot of time on the phone with clients, so just a cellphone wouldn’t cut it for me.

Jeremy, here is to hoping that I get a good customer service rep. Of course, one stopped by here on the post and I emailed the address he provided. Have I heard back? Nope. lol