From an old torn-out page from Domino Magazine I found here in the house while packing things up, here is a list of the top ten most cost-effective renovations you can do to increase the value of your house. With foreclosures occurring at the rate of 1 every 13 seconds in this country, those looking to sell their house fast would do themselves a favor by looking at this list.
1. First impressions are key, so pay attention to your house’s approach – Paint, plants, etc.
2. Stick to cosmetic changes and stay away from major structural renovations that require permits or architects.
3. Spend money on top-of-the-line appliances, which instantly raise the value of your home.
4. Bathrooms and kitchens deserve upgrades, not overhauls.
5. Repaint or refinish existing surfaces.
6. Switch out doorknobs, light fixtures, and other hardware.
7. Color and design choices should be simple. A blank canvas allows buyers to project their own vision on the house.
8. Opt for off-the-shelf products where possible.
9. Use modest materials in high design ways to give spaces instant impact.
10. Landscape smart – Plants can mask a multitude of sins.
What about you? Did you make any changes prior to selling a house that you think increased it’s value? What would be on your list if you were trying to sell?