To Save Energy, California To Limit The Size TV You Can Buy.

I don’t have much to say, really, but I will say that I think this is absurd. Yes, I am an environmentalist. And yes, I am a liberal who is OK with some government regulation. But not selling certain size TV’s to customers in order to save some energy? Ridiculous.

On November 18th the California Energy Commission (CEC) is scheduled to vote on a proposal that would require by 2011 flat screen energy use be reduced to 30% of the power used today, and by 2013 the energy use would be reduced to 49%. The Consumer Electronics Association says the current CEC proposal would essentially ban the sale of all plasma TVs larger than 60-inches and 25-percent of all HDTVs currently on the market.

So, residents of California can water their lawns all day long, enjoy gigantic swimming pools, play a round of golf on one of thousands of golf courses, drive gas guzzling cars, run air conditioners all year, and light up their cities all night…but they can’t buy a certain size TV for their home? Stupidity reigns sometimes…

What do you think?

1. Krista says:

I don’t really see much wrong with them passing that law. According to your quote excert it would restrict plasma tv’s, not LCD, etc.

There reasoning, probably, is because plasma tv’s use way more energy than any other tv, that includes the old CRT tv’s.

You can still buy large tv’s just not the massive energy hog of plasma. They actually were talking of banning plasma all together, so this is a step up.

LCD’s are the way to go energywise, but really any tv, even the old relic your grandma may have is better energywise than a plasma.

I know many people prefer plasma, but think of how happy not only the envioronment will be but your wallet when your electricity bill comes.

By the way here in So. Cal many areas get fined for watering certain hours of the day or too much or just having the water go anywhere but the plants.
    As far as gas guzzing cars everyone needs to work on that and I wouldn’t complain one bit if they banned those.

I lived in LA for 15 years – and as much as I saw people watering and using hoses to clean sidewalks, only a fraction ever got fined. I did work for the Santa Monica environment department reporting violators – and nothing ever happened.

3. Krista says:

I said we had laws in effect to fine people. I never said they were enforced ha, ha :oD.

They do often talk on the news about how they try to enforce laws about water and then they show city buildings and offices with broken sprinklers and sprinklers not even hitting the grass. And they are never fixed and of course they don’t fine themselves for it.

I don’t understand people taking advantage of water like it is indespensable. They should feel lucky to have it especially in this dry area of the state.

4. Bill says:

I think Europe is banning Plasmas all together.

I’m not sure how watering yards ties in, unless you think the water would be better used for generating electricity??

The comment about gas guzzlers and air conditioners is different in that there isn’t a feasible competing technology yet. When they do have competition that is grossly more efficient, there will probably be laws steering people towards the better option.

5. Jenne says:

THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP CALIFORNIA!!

Restriciting t.v.’s is not going to solve all the financial problems you have created for yourself!

I am sure families watching t.v. are not your biggest environmental criminals.

It ties in because California has MUCH bigger problems than the TV’s that people buy.

7. What?? Not only are they issuing IOU’s for tax refunds and not they are considering this? California…nice to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

8. I agree that CA has a lot more problems than the television sizes. However as you know, California has a history of these types of legislation. I can’t walk 10 steps without seeing a public warning about Prop 65.

And before I moved to CA from Boston, I’ve never heard of getting your car “smogged.” I think there are distinct emission laws for cars in California that aren’t eligible in other states.

I’m not saying that California is right here. I think they are just using their considerable buying power to try to force TV makers to be more considerate of the environment. If you can’t sell your TV to California – it’s a big potential loss of sales and profits.

I don’t really buy the Consumer Electronics Association’s opinion as there are still 3 years to make 60″ plasmas and the current HDTVs on the market more energy efficient.

Oh, I know – Prop 65 should have been tattooed on my forehead, it was in so many places. I realize what they are doing, but as I (and yourself) said, with all the problems they actually have, this should be near the bottom of their list. 🙂

10. Hal says:

NO one is teling me what TV I can buy or watch.
    I’ll just have it shipped to me from out of state .

Califs main problem is the ” ILLEGAL MEXICANS”
    They have eaten up every penny that we have and are
    now bankrupting us !