Long time readers of My Two Dollars may remember that I asked this very question back in 2007 and got some great responses. At the time, I was spending about $460 a month on groceries for my wife and I, which some people thought was low and some thought was high. It’s amazing how different perspectives and different locales change the equation so much! Since I am single and have been living in a different place for a month, I tracked my grocery spending again – and thus wanted to share it with you guys and ask you for your figures as well. First, some of my info:
– Last time I did this poll, I was doing most of our shopping at Trader Joes and the Farmers Market. Now, living in Denver in the winter, I do 90% of my shopping at Whole Foods with the other 10% done at the “regular” grocery store.
– I am now single, so I buy a lot less “stuff” for the house.
– I still eat only organic vegetables and fruit, and meat about once a week. No milk, but lots of yogurt and cheese. And only a tiny amount of crap/processed food.
– Because of the lack of Trader Joes, groceries cost more than they did in California – but less than they did in New Mexico.
Still, all that being said, I did OK – I spent about $200-$225 on groceries during my first month here. That’s a little less than half the dollar amount I was spending per month for two of us in 2007. So, this leads me to you guys…how much are you spending on groceries per month? Where do you live? Where do you shop? Has the recession changed your shopping habits?