Overview Of The Health Care Reform Bill.

Personally, I am happy that something was finally done about health care in this country. It’s about time we start doing something for people rather than corporations, no? While it’s not perfect, it’s a start – and I will take what I can at this point. As someone who does not have, and cannot get health insurance due to a pre-existing condition, this means a lot as long as the prices we are asked to pay are fair for everyone. The New York Times has a good run down of what this bill will mean for those with and without health insurance, and I wanted to point it out to anyone who had not seen it yet. A few highlights:

For Those Without Insurance

More lower-income individuals under the age of 65 would be covered by Medicaid, the federal health insurance plan for the poor. Under the new rules, households with income up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level, or about $29,327 for a family of four, would be eligible.

Most other uninsured people would be required to buy insurance through one of the new state-run insurance exchanges. People with incomes of more than 133 percent of the poverty level but less than 400 percent (that’s $29,327 to $88,200 for a family of four) would be eligible for premium subsidies through the exchanges.

Premiums would also be capped at a percentage of income, ranging from 3 percent of income to as much as 9.5 percent. Moreover, people of any age who cannot find a plan that costs less than 8 percent of their income would be allowed to buy a catastrophic policy otherwise intended for people under age 30.

For Those With Insurance

People who receive coverage through large employers would be unlikely to see any drastic changes, nor should premiums or coverage be affected. But almost everyone would benefit from new regulations, like the ban on pre-existing conditions that would apply to all policies come 2014.

One of the biggest changes involves the Medicare prescription drug program. Its unpopular “doughnut hole” “” a big, expensive gap in coverage that affects millions “” would be eliminated by 2020. Starting immediately, consumers who hit the gap would receive a $250 rebate. In 2011, they would receive a 50 percent discount on brand name drugs.

Again, it’s not perfect… at all. But it’s a start to help us catch up to every other industrialized nation on earth by making health care at least accessible to every citizen. Costs need to be controlled and insurance companies still need to be monitored for abuse – but the fact that myself and others in my situation can now finally have access to health insurance? Well, that’s quite a good start to a process that will take years to iron the kinks out of. Given time and if done right, I think this could be good for most everyone eventually. Let’s hope.

1. Annie Jones says:

I agree. It’s not ideal, but it’s a start.

2. Olivia says:

The problem with this bill is that it is too much at the wrong time. We simply cannot afford this bill, especially during a recession. Medicare and Medicaid are going bankrupt. Further government control is not going to stop that. Also, this bill does nothing to address the actual causes of massive healthcare costs.

Even more embarrassing than the content of this bill is the manner in which it was passed. There were far to many deals, far too many loopholes, and far too many lies and false promises made. In the end, a bill was passed that at least 55% of the American people were against. That is just sad.

I do believe that those who support this bill have their hearts in the right place. However, I do not believe that this bill will help the situation at all and will only make it worse.

Actually, most polls show that a slight majority support the bill. And it will also save money in the long run – even some Republicans acknowledged the CBO report.

4. As far as I can tell, the only overview of it is that it was done against the will of the American people, at least every poll I’ve heard about seems to say that.

I guess we’ll wait and see.

Plus, I didn’t like some of the tactics used to get the necessary votes

5. While I am thankful that the pre-existing condition problem has been corrected, beyond that, I am not sure how this bill helps the country.

The main problem we have with health care today is affordability. I have seen no evidence that this bill does anything to bring down the cost of health insurance or health care.

In fact, our taxes will go up and, the CBO also says, our premiums will also go up more than expected without the bill.

In reality, we are just borrowing more money and raising taxes to pay for people who are uninsured, but often received free medical assistance from hospitals and doctors anyways.

6. […] You @ The Digerati Life – Health Care Reform Bill Summary, Taxes, and Fines @ My Dollar Plan – Overview Of The Health Care Reform Bill. @ My Two […]

7. Olivia says:

David, I am not sure which polls you were looking at, but EVERY poll I have seen have shown a clear majority of people against the bill–including a poll/study that analyzed many of the top polling companies and combined their results.

8. Laura Eaton says:

I am receiving social security disability payments. Iam54 years old so I have to wait til December of this year before I can get medicare. Because of my income I can’t get family health plus or medicade without a $500.00 per month spenddown. Ihave heart issues that need to be taken care of but it will cost too much to even see a cardiologist. What are my options since I have exhausted all other avenues? I even emailed Dr Oz with no responce. I passed out three Sundays ago so I can’t wait much longer. Thankyou for your time . Laura Eaton

9. Laura Eaton says:

I forgot to check the email request box