Tipping Etiquette Guidelines – How Much to Tip Hairdressers, Movers, Hotel Staff, Valet, Cab Drivers, Food Delivery, Waiters and More

Ever wonder who you should tip, when you should tip, or how much you should tip? Don’t worry, you aren’t alone – not even close. Most of us take a guess at the amount and hope for the best; hoping we left enough to be remembered in a good way rather than a bad way! And while most of us tip for service in restaurants and bars, there are a lot of other places where tips are a way of life. Like them or not, tips can make or break the service you get for your money or even more importantly, help people make ends meet due to the low pay at their jobs. I am of the mind to tip most of the places we are “supposed” to tip, out of courtesy and thanks to those I am tipping, while some friends of mine only tip if service is exceptional. These opposite ends of the spectrum on tipping seems to account for the majority of people, so who really knows what the “right” way of doing things is? For me, that means tipping well for many different services. So for those of you looking for advice on when/who/how much to tip, I went and did some research and found out a bunch of info that I hope is helpful to you next time you are out and about. Let’s take a look…

• For waiters at a restaurant (not fast food) a standard tip is 15%-20% of the final bill.
  • Buying a drink at a bar? $1 a drink is pretty standard.
  • Staying in a hotel? I leave between $3-$5 per night for the housekeeping crew.
  • If you are checking your bags curbside at the airport, $1-$2 per bag is fair.
  • Getting your car washed at one of those “top to bottom” car washes? $3-$5 is a good tip for the main guy working on your car.
  • While I rarely see this anymore (although that could be because I don’t hang out anywhere “nice” anymore!), an attendant in a coatroom should be tipped $1 per coat.
  • Seeing a massage therapist to work out the knots from the day job? Between 15%-20% of the massage cost is standard.
  • I tipped my tattoo guy 20% of the cost for his work because, well, if I go back I want him to spell everything correctly!
  • Get your hair cut at a salon? Tipping 15%-20% of the haircut cost is good, and maybe a little more around the holidays.
  • If I ever have to valet my car, I usually tip $2 to the valet driver when he or she brings my car back around.
  • When in need of wheelchair service at the airport, a tip of $5-$10 would be nice to give to the “driver”.
  • Pizza delivery drivers, on average, get between $2-$5 depending on weather, your neighborhood, and distance driven to get there.
  • When taking the shuttle from the rental car place to the airport, most people tip the drive $1 per bag (if they help you with it).
  • For movers, I always tip $20 per guy. This comes in especially handy if you are like me and move often using the same company!
  • If you use a hotel concierge, you should probably tip them at least $5 for getting you tickets or reservations to a show. Give more if they help more, as you never know when you may need them.
  • For taxis, a pretty standard tip is 15% of the final bill.
  • For limo drivers, 20% of the bill is fair.
  • Ever travel overnight on Amtrak? I have, many times – and the sleeping car attendants can make or break your trip. A tip of $3-$5 per day/per passenger can make all the difference.
  • While I am not a gambler, most blackjack players will tip a $5 chip upon leaving the table – more if at a high stakes table or you won a ton of money.
  • The ladies at the nail salon would truly appreciate a 15% tip for cleaning up your fingernails.
  • When getting your shoes shined, a good tip (on top of the bill) would be $2 per pair of shoes.
  • Got a young kid in school? While you don’t need to tip, per se, a small token of appreciation is nice at the end of the school year. That being said, as someone who was married to a teacher, please avoid giving personal pictures of your child, home decorations, or body lotion. A gift card to a bookstore or Starbucks is a much better gift… trust me.

A few other things to keep in mind that I just thought of that may be useful:

If you purchase goods/services with a coupon of any sort, tip on the full amount of the bill – not the discounted price. Otherwise you just look like a cheap bastard and it’s not fair to the server, who has no control over the prices of the restaurant or the value of the coupon.

And lastly, if you are traveling abroad, pretty much throw this entire list out the window. When people from other countries come visit the US, they don’t understand why we tip everyone so much money. In France (the only country I have spent any amount of time in), tipping was generally frowned upon, especially in professional jobs like being a waiter or a taxi driver. We Americans still tipped a little, but locals tended not to tip because they know that these jobs are paid professional wages, and tipping can be seen as insulting by some.

Got any more tips about tipping? Do you tip often or rarely? How much do you tip? Please let us know in the comments!

1. David, thanks for sharing these tips. One thing I’ve always wondered is that some of the things we tip for are percentage based and yet others are some nominal amount of money. I wonder when inflation actually kicks such that the coat rack attendant gets $2 instead of $1.

2. Stephan says:

great question ace, neverr eally thought about that. on the other hand, i have traveled extensively through europe and honestly wish we had a system where tip was included in the service. the reason service is so terrible in restaurants in this country is because they make less than the minimum wage, and only do enough to get the tip. in europe, they are trained and you can notice hte difference in service and professionalism. just my two cents!

3. Are these figures official?

There are a lot of these situations where I do not tip–I think you have to have some knowledge of the pay rates of these people. For example, servers only make about $4 per hour–so they literally live off of their tips. Some of these other employees, I amnot so sure.

4. Craig/FFB says:

One thing I’ve heard is you don’t have to tip the owner of the establishment since they get all the profit anyway.

What do you think about that?

So if the tattoo guy or haircutter (or whatever) is the owner you don’t have to give them anything.

Also, if you are getting a haircutter make sure to give a buck or two to the person who washes your hair.

david- “Official” means different things to different people. There is no “official” tip amounts – you give what you feel someone deserves. These are general amounts that most people give.

6. Craig/FFB says:

“The day I don’t give the guy drawing permanent ink on my body a tip is the day I die. That would just be plain stupid.”

Ok, good point!

7. [...] had to take a taxi the other night (article forthcoming!), and I tipped 20%. This article discusses the tipping norm for all kinds of services. What are your [...]

8. Ski Instructors: Please give them something, it’s often a low paying job in a place with high living expenses; instructors receive only a small fraction of the lesson cost. For group lessons: $5-$20. For private lessons: $10 for each hour; $20 for a half day lesson; $50 for a full day. If your children are in multi-day lessons, please tip at the end of each day as instructors sometimes change; your child is also likely to get better attention if you do that.

9. Richard says:

Hi David,

Liked your article alot. I tended to tip in restaurants alot even if their has been an added service charge as it shows appreciation. The one that always gets me is tipping the bell boy in a fancy hotel….

10. John says:

Hi David, I’am a chef/owner of a restaurant and at times when my staff is not present my wife and I will wait tables make drinks,cooking,clearing and resetting of tables the same as the staff if not better and yet there are some people who believe that you’re not suposed to tip the owners, but if a waitstaff member comes in to shift they will tip her as if she waited on them the whole time…now that’s a slap to the face!

Not my fault some people work for less than they are worth. I go to any establishment and I pay the ADVERTISED price for what I want. Seems the owners live a fairly decent life and with that said, they should be paying their staff livable wages…not me.
    The only 4 people I tip are the airline pilots who get me somewhere safe, my surgeon for not cutting off the wrong part, the fire extinguisher people…I need to ensure they have done their job, don’t need a great job, just do their job properly and the people who pack my parachute. I truly need all four of these professions to know I appreciate the job they do.

12. Stephanie says:

David,

You should add the server that makes sure your food and drinks come out properly.

Do me and every other server in the United States and don’t ever go out to eat, again. In certain areas of the United States, a server only makes $5 an hour. On top of that, servers are taxed based on their sales, plus sometimes have to tip out bussers, bartenders, seaters, food runners, etc. So in other words, if you don’t tip a server, they’re actually paying for you to eat out. The least you could do is pay a server 10% so that you cover the tip out (just because you don’t tip, doesn’t mean we don’t tip the others) and taxes. If you don’t want to tip (or can’t afford it), go to McDonald’s or cook at home. We neither want nor need your kind at our restaurants demanding your drinks and giving us your rude attitude.

On a side note, by your lovely attitude, I can be assured that you are paid way more than you’re worth.

13. Rei says:

@David: It’s unethical to tip or give a gift of significant value to a doctor. Your best bet is to give them a good review on Yelp, recommend them to friends, and leave it at that.

14. chip says:

I don’t get why I should tip my hairdresser. They earn nearly twice as much as I do per hour, and I work much harder in more demanding conditions. So far I’ve read that it’s because I have to subsidize their wages, or to make sure they do a good job on my hair the next time. But if they want more money, why don’t they just set the price they want? I feel like a 20% socially mandatory tip is kind of like a form of begging. For waiters I don’t mind because that really is a difficult job. But tipping a hairdresser just because they did a good job? Isn’t everyone supposed to do their job proficiently? How is being a hairdresser different to being a dentist, mechanic or graphic designer?

15. brandi says:

a lot of ppl give their dentist or doctor a holiday gift such as candies or such so that probably falls into the tipping like the teacher and mailperson, I’d do the same for a regular mechanic (so i’ll tip my husband) and i would if i were a business owner contracting out graphic design work. that said i doubt all hairstylists make the same, i find it hard to believe that those at cost cutters, great clips, supercuts, etc make huge wages when they only charge $10 for a haircut. and ppl can be picky!! about their hair and ppl can be difficult so i cant say its always an easy job, i just took an autistic child who hates to brush her hair and a 3 yr old boy who hates getting sprayed with water to get their haircut then worried the 30% i tipped wasnt enough (they werent actually bad just not as easy as an adult who sits perfectly still)

16. John says:

I think tips should be included in the price

17. Tonya says:

I think people are under the impression that hair stylist make all this money but I’ll be the first to tell you that it’s not true. They get a percentage of what their total bill is and then get another percentage deducted for any product used. Hairstylist rely greatly on their tips and use what you tip to grade themselves on your satisfaction. 20% is happy, 15% is could’ve been better & 10% is unhappy. Also, if you keep coming back but tip badly they assume that you obviously don’t appreciate what they do for you therefore they also care less. The only reason not to tip is if you leave in tears but in that case you shouldn’t pay for the service.

18. Tonya says:

* Also if you tip cash they will love you for it. Any tip on cards & checks are put into paychecks so they have to wait a couple weeks for it plus they loose a good chunk of it do to fees.

19. jamie says:

Ian a hairdresser.
    1- we don’t make loads of money, I’ve both rented stations and worked commission based guess what 70% of my income is tips

2- there is no standard…if u like me and what I do. Tip accordingly

3. We went to school to provide a professional service to you that requires tips to survive. I don’t make aany more than minimum wage without tips.

4. Do a full highlight.. blowdries and 15 cuts and all standing looking cute all day.dealing with people.being a therapist all to make you feel better than when u came in and call it easy? If it is easy do it yourself. Thanks

20. Nina says:

I am sorry but I totally disagree.

A “tip: IS a tip. if it becomes compulsory and at a FIXED level, this is a CHARGE.
    Charges should be quoted in the final price, meaning in the official advertised or spoken cost for the WHOLE service.

If a shampoo & cut cost $50, it includes just that: Shampoo & cut & straight blow dry (NOT styling) If I request a small extra service – not charged – I will tip according.

This so-called tipping has gone in the twilight zone in the US. It is a silly attempt at “Bettering the Jones” and it emulates the deceptive practice of retailers pricing their good tax-free. Can you opt out of paying taxes on your shopping bill, just try it for fun… In this case, why not display the REAL price of the item? This country is the only one doing that, I believe.

I will tip if and when justified, but not because I have to and certainly not at predetermined level.
    On occasions, when service is so low as to appear rude, I have walked out of an eating place without tipping. I wrote “not deserved” on the blank line.

To those professionals who claim poverty: If you do not make a suitable living at your job, take another.

I am not mean or stingy, I am just logical.

NM

21. Mike says:

To anyone who thinks tipping is unnecessary,

So as a valet driver if i worked at a complimentary valet service and got paid 3 dollars an hours and worked for 5 hours. I should only get 15 bucks if I park let’s say 40 cars. Are you out of your mind. I put my life in danger, run approximately 7-10miles in 5 hours, and pretty much am wearing down my body

so some one lazy, inconsiderate of time because they are late for an event, or just want to flaunt their wealth can take advantage of some one who in my opinion does a job 10 times more physically demanding as a server even though they get paid more and believe it or not deal with the same amount of stress (I’ve worked both jobs and know that valet are treated poorly compared to servers)

Tip your valet 3-5 please people. A lot of time we have to split tips too…
    If you have 2 that is fine because some one will give me 4, 5 later
    Do not give 1 dollar or change. It is disgraceful and pisses us off
    And if you give me nothing well then you’re a scumbag and I would love to wreck your car considering we have collision insurance. FIND A FUCKING ATM cheapos

22. jamie says:

Thankyou to the valet guy who put it into perspective. _to the comment on saying I as a hairstylist should get another job if I can’t make it. I do fine in my field because iam talented and treat people with due respect therefore I make decent tips. When you get into the field you know ahead of time that the majority of income is tips. I don’t think people would go to school to make minimum wage. I hope you’re income gets cut in half. I would laugh. You’re probably..
    nevermind.

23. Jaci says:

Although I am not opposed to tipping…. I wonder why tips have become expectations. Im a nurse I work extremely hard and have paid for my education, to do a profesional petsonal service. But why is it that someone who provides such an intricate and personal service- would never expect or be given a tip. All a nurse hopes for is a cooperative patient that they can make a positive change for and perhaps a nice attitude and smile. Tipping has become a strandard and everyone feels as they deserve… who decides who deserves, or why. I do tip, but it has to stop some where. A tip is a bit extra for a job well fine not customary. It is the job of each individual to make the income they need, not a patron. It shouldnt be expected.

24. jamie says:

I didn’t make the tipping rule. However the tipping agenda was in place and part of the decision in making the career choice. If I could make 35 an hour guaranteed id forgo tips gladly.

25. jamie says:

Oh and your paid by the hour not per service :)

26. Heather says:

So you’re saying all these people who make livings off of tips should just up and find a new job because stingy people like you can’t bring themselves to shell out a decent tip?

well then there will be a great shortage of people to cook food for you, serve food to you, cut your hair, park your car, help you with your bags, and any other thing you don’t do for yourself and you will all of a sudden have lots of things you’ll have to learn how to do by yourself and best of luck with that.

27. Heather says:

I’m a Chef, and I paid for my education, but i’d be lucky to make 20k a year, I’m pretty sure doctors, nurses, dentists, etc make ALOT more than that.

28. Steven says:

I am amazed that tipping has become compulsory.

As a consumer you pay only for the advertised charge and it’s the responsibility of the business owner to pay adequately to his/her employees who provide the service.

The consumer is not an employer and we should not concern ourselves whether the service provider is properly compensated by his employer. It seems that the consumers have unconsciously taken over the responsibility to ensure that the service provider is properly compensated.

29. Emma says:

I understand tipping servers in restaurants, and bartenders in bars – the advertised price is to pay for the food/drink, the tip is to pay for the service. That’s why if the food is crap but the service is good, I still leave a generous tip (but never go back). If the food is good but the service is crap, I leave a stingy tip but will return.
    I don’t understand tipping hairdressers, massage therapists, car washers, etc – the advertised price is to pay for the service, so what is the tip for?
    Maybe there’s a small argument that if getting your hair colored, then the advertised price pays for the dye, etc. But really… $60-100+ for some chemicals? No, the bulk of the advertised price is paying for the stylist’s time, not the products. For a hair cut, I believe you should pay the advertised price and no tip, unless they really go above & beyond, or you have an ongoing relationship with them & they really understand exactly what you’re wanting, etc.
    If I go to a cheapy hairdresser it’s $15 for 15-30 mins work (cut only), or to a fancier place it’s $60 for around an hour’s work. Both of these equate to equal or more than my hourly pay as an professional scientist with a Masters Degree and 6yrs experience (substantially more time & money for education than a hairdresser). And yes, I know the stylist doesn’t get the entire amount of what I pay (they usually get a percentage, or else have to pay for chair rental/products/etc), but my company charges it’s clients $100/hr for the work that I do, and I only take home $30/hr of that, so that argument just doesn’t wash with me.

30. jamie says:

Did you know yes you may average out an hour at 30. $ but it never ads up to 30$ an hour for a full day. I may make 47% othe total. But we pay taxes quarterly because we owe due to the independent contractor structure which makes my income considerably less than what you think you know. Thank god there are more intelligently well informed comments to counteract the ignorant comments and thank god I don’t have customers that think like you. As a single mother my families well being depends on my ktips or as I stated I would be making minimum wage not even near 30 an hour. And in ten years fyi your wage goes up. Mine stays fifty percent. I hope you have a child or someone close that becomes a hairdresser
    and I hope no one tips them ever. I think I should go buy thankyou cards for my clients. Not just for tipping. Because I earn that but for not having neanderthal ways of thinking.

31. Cassandra says:

I have worked most of my life in the food service industry, I am now an manager for a fine dining establishment, and since I handle payroll I can personally tell you that servers LIVE off their tips. When I go out to eat a good rule of thumb that is easy for everyone to remember is this: tax is approx 8.25% these days right? at least in Cali where I am from. so I double the tax making it 16.5% and if my server was AMAZING I add a dollar or two on top of that. Fine dining I tip at least 20%. At the nail salon its $5 for the manicurist and $5 for the pedicurist. For my tattoo artist who bared through a 3 1/2 hour session for my gorgeous tattoo with me, the tattoo was $300 so i gave him $400. I know that it seems like over kill $100 tip for a tattoo. but that man didn’t stop but once for a 15 min break when I asked for it. and my ink turned out better then I could have EVER imagined. *its not small either* full color (12 different colors), shoulder to shoulder, and just beautiful. I couldn’t thank him enough. I am scheduled to get my next one from him in a couple of months and let me tell you, he worked HIS schedule out around MINE, not the other way around.
    The better you tip, the better your service is the next time you go. :)

32. Sandra says:

Please also tip your blackjack dealers, they only get paid minimum wage. Especially if you win big, please tip, my husband is a dealer and we survive on tips. Thx to all the good tippers out there, we appreciate it very much & it’s good karma!

33. tonya says:

Hi I’m a hair dresser and I think that people should be aware that we do not make what u think most walk in places r paid by the hour like 7.50 to 9 an hour usually so we provide for our familys from tips because if u add its about 15000 a year so its not much and some hairdressers r based on comission witch only get paid 40-55% of what they do in a day so if u think about it if they only do 5 people in a day that would not be much so on that note u should always tip 20-30% depending on the service thankyou :)

34. Melissa says:

Servers in Indiana make $2.13 an hour…. remember that…

35. Melissa says:

Also, most places you the server has to tip 3% of your total check out to bartenders, bus boys and hostess… if your Check is a hundred dollars and you tip 3 bucks your server gets nothing and has to pay taxes on your check as if you tipped 13%. That’s not fair to your server. Servers remember bad tippers really well
    And they tell your next server on your next visit… don’t ever screw with people handling your food. Tip just to cover taxes on a crappy server or ask for management to get dinner comped if she’s that bad. But if you have good service tip well. If you have great service tip great .. find a server you like and request her/his section. Pass the word on a good server.. if a good server makes decent money they will stay…. plus a good tip puts your server in a better mood.. plus if you are a regular guest of that particular server and they know you tip good, they put you above all other tables…

36. Melissa says:

Also. I enjoy being a server. I have a professional degree but having a special needs son I need a flexible schedule. Could I make more on my professional field? Yes.. but I enjoy serving. And I can tell you, be rude to your server and your gonna get lousy service and some servers (not me) will “do” things to your food and drink. If your gonna be rude stay home. It only takes one jackass to ruin a servers night or they get even. Im not rude to rude guests but im only doing the bare minimum for them. Of your an ass the next time you go out and your food or drink tastes funny. Think about that. Im a server because I have to be with my child and I do enjoy it… but if we didn’t have to we wouldn’t… at least they are working! They are kissing your ass while being humiliated and belittled by jackasses…

37. jamie says:

As do hairstylists. We tip out all three of our receptionists faulty. And in california they have the power to make that mandatory. Which it is at my salon

38. Erica says:

I am amazed at how dumb some of the people commenting on here, are! I am a waitress in the state of Georgia and make $2.13 an hour…I never see a paycheck b/c all of that money is taken out for taxes. I basically rely 100% on tips for living!

Some of you are saying that we should go get new jobs…Guess what? Restaurants wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the people WORKING in them. How about you don’t ever come back out to eat if you can’t afford to tip! Also, just so you know, servers always remember the people that don’t tip and we tell our co-workers. So when all the non-tippers come back into a place where they previously did not tip, they should probably be aware of how dumb they actually are. You don’t want to piss off the people who prepare/bring you your food.

39. If you can afford twenty percent, that’s usually what is customary.

However, if the additional cost of a tip is a factor for you, please know that your continued business is MORE THAN ENOUGH. Stylists are very well paid, I know because I work in a salon.

40. Colleen says:

I sometimes think that expecting a tip as mandatory is too much. I will tip when service is fantastic – like at a bar/pub. In fact at pubs where the barstaff knows me (as my BF works there) I tend to tip ON the tax and make sure the bartender gets a great tip. I tip well and they remember me. Hair Salons – I will tip up to 20%. I usually get it coloured and highlites so it is pricey but still I tip well. As for tip jars – no way will I ever tip at a fast food joint. As for the maid at a hotel – i will tip at the END of my stay if things have been satisfactory. I don’t tip daily as I don’t think it is “necessary” especially If I am there for a week. Was in NYC for a week and our maid screwed up big time and guess what she got a big fat $0 tip cuz of her screw up. She claimed she made up our room one day and she clearly didn’t…. shorted us towels as well. Not impressive as we had planned on giving the tip the day we left… too bad for her!
    As far as a “washroom attendant” well they don’t get anything… for handing me a paper towel?? puhleeze! No thanks! I will use my hand sanitizer or get my own paper towel!

41. jo says:

I really appreciated this article! I have wondered if my tipping style was appropriate or not. I think I will have to raise my tips a little…I was still stuck on 10%.
    With that said, if its a place I go to regularly (like hair or nail salon) and I like what they do I may start at 10% on my 1st visit and on my 2nd or 3rd visit raise it a little and continue that way….

42. Katie says:

I work for a Denny’s franchise in New Mexico, the town I live in is a ski resort / gorse racing town and therefore living is very expensive. Anyways, when I started with the company I was a server making $2.13 an hour, I worked 40 hours a week and I was not allowed to have any overtime, I guess they couldn’t afford to give time and a half on my pay. I lived on my tips, I some how managed to pay $600 dollar rent+ bills on it. My bi-weekly paychecks were anywhere from $20-$30 after taxes. Most servers are in business for themselves, they work for YOU the customers, so they count on people tipping for doing their jobs correctly. In a town where there are only two high seasons (skiing and the horse races) it gets tough to find a job and when you do find a job it’s tough to live on the pay you’re company gives you, someone had to do the job though right?? I wasn’t ever greedy though, I always did the best job I could for people and if they only left me a dollar, well then, I was up more than I was. When I went out I made sure I had the money to tip, or I stayed at home. Now I work for the same company in a higher position and if I have to get on the floor to take tables I split the tips I make between my serve staff. Everyone is just trying to make it, if you can stand to make it a little easier on the person, then why not?

43. Anna Marie says:

I am also in Cali, and do the “double the tax” thing for a minimum tip, and a little more if the service was exceptional.

However, I have to agree — I really wish that what one politician (Ron Paul?) suggested as a policy would happen; he wanted to raise wages for service workers to something equaling a living wage, so they wouldn’t be at the mercy of tippers.

And while I would never dream of deliberately stiffing someone), I’ve done it by accident when calculating the tip after using a Groupon or other discount. Embarrassing for me, when I realize it, and discouraging for the server.

It would be SO MUCH EASIER for everyone if the gratuity could just be included in the final prices. It would save waitstaff from getting screwed by stingy patrons, and help math-deficient people like me figure out from the get-go how much my evening out would cost, and whether I can afford it — especially since I am on a tight budget.

Not to mention that when you’re eating out with a group, everyone trying to figure out how much tip they owe on top of their bill usually ends up with one person overpaying to cover the people holding out.

As a social custom, it’s almost as if it were fiendishly designed to make everyone miserable… :p

44. Dianelis says:

Just tip, I am a broke college student and I always tip. Those of you who keep wishing bad things to those you disagree with, BAD, VERY BAD!!! Treat others as you want them to treat you.

45. Rick Tomaselli says:

I play a lot of golf. Curious what one should tip the staff that meet you at the curb and extract the clubs from the car for the cart. I usually tip $2 per bag, and then $5 per bag after the round because they clean our golf clubs and shoes? Seem fair?

46. Tyler says:

Tipping a server 15% is an insult … They have to tip out 5% of that to bartender host busser etc so in reality you are tipping 10% to that server 20 is standard if they are exceptional if they are good(good servers don’t have to fill your lonely void by talking to you the whole time ) then 25% should be given.. Can’t afford it don’t eat out

47. john says:

Lol @ Tyler.

Youre insane if you think 25 is minimum. Especially for you since you sound like an asshole.

48. jessica says:

I’m a server in mass, and we make $2.63 per hr. I too have a masters degree, and nearly 10 yrs in my professional field. However, I was laid off, and after 18 months on unemployment, with no luck finding a new job in my field, with a daughter to care for, I decided to try serving. I love it. I thrive in the fast-paced environment, and I have no fewer than 5 requests every shift. I do my job, and I do it to the best of my ability. Fortunately for me, I’ve been lucky. But there are just some patrons who will always tip less than 20%, and they won’t budge regardless of the service. My solution? Increase the check… 10-15% of $100 is much better than 10-15% of $60. The tip is for the service. The total check amount is for the food and beverage. We autograt parties of 6 or more. Downside, credit card tips are received in our paycheck and are therefore taxed, so cash is most preferred. And Yes, bad tippers are not forgotten, and the next time that patron comes in, they will receive substandard service.. long wait for drinks n food and they will DEFINITELY be waiting to cash out. They aren’t priority.

49. Heather says:

My husband and I go out about 2 – 3 times a year for dinner. We usually go to an Applebee’s or Chili’s or Texas Roadhouse….we get my parents to watch our daughter and we both have a drink and some dinner….our bill usually comes to around $50ish dollars and we leave the wait staff a $20 – $30 tip…they deserve it….they work very hard. I have never worked in the food industry and I don’t think I could because it is a very tough job….thank you to all those that make a night out without the kids a quiet and relaxing experience:)

50. Elmer says:

We are retired and eat out a lot 3-4 time a week. We generally split meals at places that don’t mind us splitting meals. Our meals are typically 10-15 dollars total and we leave $2.50 – $3.50. My wife has her hair cut for $40.00 and does not tip. She will occasionally give a gift to her hairdresser. I tip the newspaper deliverer $20.00 at Christmas and the garbage men $10.00 each (3 of them) at Christmas. It takes 10 minutes to do my own hair and it is by far a better job than the hairdresser would ever do
    it. Never a single hair is left on my neck or inside my collar.

51. Heather says:

Good luck getting your next round of drinks if you only tip your bartender $1. Trust me, servers and bartenders remember exactly who “takes care” of us and we are going to take care of them a lot faster and a lot better than someone who leaves a 10% tip. Lets say a bartender is 3 deep on a Friday night and going down the wood getting orders, who do you think they’re going to get drinks to first? The guy who tips $1 on their $15 tab or the one who tips $5 on their $15 tab? T.I.P.S….to insure prompt service. Here in Texas servers and bartenders make $2.13/hour! Majority of the time our checks are $0 because of taxes being taken out for the money we make on tips. Tips are what we pay out rent with, feed our families with, etc. 15% is in no way a good tip. 20% is adequate for adequate service 10-15% for bad to poor service and 21%+ for fantastic service.

52. Carolyn says:

Remember at happy hour to tip the percentage on what the regular cost of a drink would be. Same goes if you have a coupon or Groupon.

53. Melanie says:

I’ve been going to the same hairdresser at the same salon for the past 26 years and I usually tip the hairdresser (who is also one of the owners) about $5 and the shampooer anoint $2. I literally have never gone to anybody else, but I recently purchased a Groupon for a cut, blow out, and style. I don’t have a lot of money to spare (I’m currently a stay at home mom and my husband is a student working prart time), but I don’t want to seem ungrateful to the stylist by not tipping enough. The Groupon was $25 (and it said that the original cost was $70) and I also used a Groupon coupon for $10 off, so I ended up paying $15. If it hadn’t been so inexpensive, I never would have even considered getting my hair done (I usually get my haircut no more than once a year, and sometimes once every other year). If I were to pay 20% on the $70, then I’d be paying about the same in tips as I’m paying for the service itself and defeates the purpose of trying out this new place since it’ll end up coming out close in cost to what I would be paying at my usual place. Suggestions please?

54. Lucy says:

I’m sorry, but people need to chill out. Even if you don’t make a ton of money, you should still tip, because people that get tips don’t make a lot of money. For me, it’s an act of solidarity– I’m a student, putting myself through school, but I know that tips can make a big difference. I feel that because I appreciate the value of a dollar, I have a responsibility to tip others, even if I don’t have expendable income. If you don’t have enough money to tip well, then don’t try to support a lifestyle that requires it.

55. Becky says:

I usually tip waitresses 18% to 20%, Hotel maids $5.00 per night, end of stay.But my hairdresser, I am so unsure??? He is salon owner, has assistant who shampoos, applies color (partly) etc. I pay $150.00 for cut ,color and hilights. Today I tipped $20.00 $10.00 each and I felt stingy, yet $150.00 is a lot of money for cut and color????? Please advise..what is proper????????